The internationalization process model: A proposed view of firms’ regular incremental and irregular non-incremental behaviour
Commitment in the internationalization process model (IP-model) is challenged by the search for knowledge through experience and interactions. Critics opposing this logic even forced the founder of the model to call for the need for integration of other elements in order to understand irregular behaviour like rapid internationalization, loss of commitment and market exit. Aligned with this call, the paper raises the question of how the IP-model can be applied to analyse both regular/incremental and irregular/non-incremental behaviour of the firms. To reach an answer, the paper proposes a theoretical view by adding expectation and unknown uncertainty to the IP-model and examines this in a case study. The contribution is a further development of the IP-model by merging these two concepts that provide tools for understanding irregular behaviour. The paper analyses a Swedish firm's internationalization in different foreign markets for the period of 1995–2009. Conclusions support the understanding of how the model can describe regular incremental and irregular non-incremental commitment behaviour.
Volume (Year): 23 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weerawardena, Jay & Mort, Gillian Sullivan & Liesch, Peter W. & Knight, Gary, 2007. "Conceptualizing accelerated internationalization in the born global firm: A dynamic capabilities perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 294-306, September.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2009.
"Bank governance, regulation and risk taking,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 259-275, August.
- Li, Jing, 2009. "Information structures with unawareness," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 977-993, May.
- Nicholas Alexander, 2011. "British overseas retailing, 1900-60: International firm characteristics, market selections and entry modes," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(4), pages 530-556.
- Ku-Ho Lin & Isabella Chaney, 2007. "The Influence of Domestic Interfirm Networks on the Internationalization Process of Taiwanese SMEs," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 565-583, October.
- Claudia Castro-Kuriss & Diana Kelmansky & Victor Leiva & Elena Martinez, 2010. "On a goodness-of-fit test for normality with unknown parameters and type-II censored data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 1193-1211.
- Leslie Hannah, 2007. "The 'Divorce' of ownership from control from 1900 onwards: Re-calibrating imagined global trends," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(4), pages 404-438.
- Lianxi Zhou & Wei-ping Wu & Xueming Luo, 2007. "Internationalization and the performance of born-global SMEs: the mediating role of social networks," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 673-690, July.
- Marco Arena, 2005.
"Bank Failures and Bank Fundamentals: A Comparative Analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the Nineties using Bank-Level Data,"
05-19, Bank of Canada.
- Arena, Marco, 2008. "Bank failures and bank fundamentals: A comparative analysis of Latin America and East Asia during the nineties using bank-level data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 299-310, February.
- Hadjikhani, Amjad & Lee, Joong-Woo & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2008. "Network view of MNCs' socio-political behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(9), pages 912-924, September.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Stephan Popp, 2010.
"A new unit root test with two structural breaks in level and slope at unknown time,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 1425-1438.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Stephan Popp, 2009. "A New Unit Root Test with Two Structural Breaks in Level and Slope at Unknown Time," Economics Series 2009_11, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Stan D Reid, 1981. "The Decision-Maker and Export Entry and Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Shameen Prashantham, 2005. "Toward a Knowledge-Based Conceptualization of Internationalization," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 37-52, January.
- Marian V Jones & Nicole E Coviello, 2005. "Internationalisation: conceptualising an entrepreneurial process of behaviour in time," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 284-303, May.
- Salvatore Modica & J.-Marc Tallon & Aldo Rustichini, 1998.
"Unawareness and bankruptcy: A general equilibrium model,"
Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 259-292.
- Salvatore Modica & Aldo Rustichini & Jean-Marc Tallon, 1998. "Unawareness and bankruptcy: A general equilibrium model," Post-Print halshs-00499386, HAL.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2006.
"Entry and Exit in International Markets: Evidence from Chilean Data,"
Caepr Working Papers
2006-014, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo A. López, 2008. "Entry and Exit in International Markets: Evidence from Chilean Data," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 692-708, 09.
- Eriksson, Kent & Hadjikhani, Amjad, 2000. "Perceptual product connection in an international context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 301-320, June.
- Araujo, Luis & Rezende, Sergio, 2003. "Path dependence, MNCs and the internationalisation process: a relational approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 719-737, December.
- Subir K. Chakrabarti, 2010. "Collusive Equilibrium In Cournot Oligopolies With Unknown Costs," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1209-1238, November.
- Namrata Malhotra & CR (Bob) Hinings, 2010. "An organizational model for understanding internationalization processes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(2), pages 330-349, February.
- Francesco Ciabuschi & Mats Forsgren & Oscar Mart�n Mart�n, 2011. "Rationality vs ignorance: The role of MNE headquarters in subsidiaries’ innovation processes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(7), pages 958-970, September.
- Ray E. Reagans & Ezra W. Zuckerman, 2008. "All in the family: reply to Burt, Podolny, and van de Rijt, Ban, and Sarkar," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(5), pages 979-999, October.
- Ronald S. Burt, 2008. "Information and structural holes: comment on Reagans and Zuckerman," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(5), pages 953-969, October.
- Jean J Boddewyn, 1979. "Foreign Divestment: Magnitude and Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 21-26, March.
- C Patrick Woodcook & Paul W Beamish & Shige Makino, 1994. "Ownership-Based Entry mode Strategies and International Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 253-273, June.
- Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 1998. "Explaining gradually increasing resource commitment to a foreign market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 483-501, October.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 2009. "The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: From liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1411-1431, December.
- Bianchi, Constanza C. & Ostale, Enrique, 2006. "Lessons learned from unsuccessful internationalization attempts: Examples of multinational retailers in Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 140-147, January.
- Julian Birkinshaw & Mary Yoko Brannen & Rosalie L Tung, 2011. "From a distance and generalizable to up close and grounded: Reclaiming a place for qualitative methods in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(5), pages 573-581, June.
- Danny Miller & Peter H. Friesen, 1982. "The Longitudinal Analysis of Organizations: A Methodological Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(9), pages 1013-1034, September.
- Christopher Kobrak & Andrea Schneider, 2011. "Varieties of business history: Subject and methods for the twenty-first century," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(3), pages 401-424.
- Anderson, Eugene W & Salisbury, Linda Court, 2003. " The Formation of Market-Level Expectations and Its Covariates," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 115-24, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:23:y:2014:i:1:p:155-168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.