Perceptual product connection in an international context
The consumer's perception of a product is affected by his or her perception of similar and complementary products available from foreign countries. The subject under discussion is how consumers perceptually relate standardized products in an international context. The specific focus is on how those perceptual relations are connected to each other. A model for connection between such relations has been proposed and tested with the LISREL method. The findings clarify how consumers' beliefs about one product affect their beliefs about other products, the producers of the products, and their own purchasing behaviour. Two interrelated factors--product substitutes and the products' country of origin--are presented as the basis for the connections. The study aims to enhance our understanding of international consumer-product relations and brings new knowledge to the study of international consumer relations. The article finds that consumers perceive different connections inside and outside the country of origin. Inside the country of origin, the perception is that both substitute products and substitute producers are connected. This implies that consumers connect much of what is produced and imported in one country. Outside the country of origin, consumers seem to connect substitute products with other substitute products, and substitute producers with substitute producers independent of the country of origin. But consumers do not seem to connect substitute products and producers with each other outside the country of origin. These findings open up a new field of research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Michael D & Anderson, Eugene W & Fornell, Claes, 1995. " Rational and Adaptive Performance Expectations in a Customer Satisfaction Framework," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(4), pages 695-707, March.
- Martin S Roth & Jean B Romeo, 1992. "Matching Product Category and Country Image Perceptions: A Framework for Managing Country-of-Origin Effects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(3), pages 477-497, September.
- Gruen, Thomas W., 1995. "The outcome set of relationship marketing in consumer markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 447-469.
- Dietl, Jerry & Iwinska-Knop, Krystyna, 1989. "Trade in Poland and the Federal Republic of Germany : A comparative approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 313-324, December.
- C Min Han & Vern Terpstra, 1988. "Country-Of-Origin Effects for Uni-National and Bi-National Products," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(2), pages 235-255, June.
- Sujan, Mita, 1985. " Consumer Knowledge: Effects on Evaluation Strategies Mediating Consumer Judgments," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 31-46, June.
- Hong, Sung-Tai & Wyer, Robert S, Jr, 1989. " Effects of Country-of-Origin and Product-Attribute Information on Product Evaluation: An Information Processing Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 175-87, September.
- Gronroos, Christian, 1990. "Relationship approach to marketing in service contexts: The marketing and organizational behavior interface," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-11, January.
- Saeed Samiee, 1994. "Customer Evaluation of Products in a Global Market," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(3), pages 579-604, September.
- Green, Paul E., 1974. "A multidimensional model of product-features association," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 107-118, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:9:y:2000:i:3:p:301-320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.