Portfolio management of strategic alliances: An international business perspective
This paper extends the Integration-Responsiveness ([Bartlett and Ghoshal, 1989] and [Prahalad and Doz, 1987]) international business framework of multinational companies (MNCs) strategies in order to explain the MNC's various approaches to managing strategic alliance portfolios. Our research shows that the alliance portfolios of MNCs differ significantly with respect to partner integration and partner heterogeneity. We argue that the choice regarding the management of alliance portfolios depends on the MNC's international strategy. The empirical results reveal the impact of local responsiveness through the partner heterogeneity, and the impact of MNC integration on the level of global partner integration respectively.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Fran�ois Hennart & Jorma Larimo, 1998. "The Impact of Culture on the Strategy of Multinational Enterprises: Does National Origin Affect Ownership Decisions?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 515-538, September.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2007. "Determining international strategic alliance performance: A multidimensional approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 337-361, June.
- Anne-Wil Harzing, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis and Extension of the Bartlett and Ghoshal Typology of Multinational Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 101-120, March.
- Siew Meng Leong & Chin Tiong Tan, 1993. "Managing Across Borders: An Empirical Test of the Bartlett and Ghoshal  Organizational Typology," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 449-464, September.
- Contractor, F. J. & Lorange, P., 2002. "The growth of alliances in the knowledge-based economy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 485-502, August.
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of the Integration-Responsiveness Framework in Global Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 541-564, December.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 1992. "A Note on the Transnational Solution and the Transaction Cost Theory of Multinational Strategic Management," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 761-771, December.
- Thuc Anh, Phan Thi & Christopher Baughn, C. & Minh Hang, Ngo Thi & Neupert, Kent E., 2006. "Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: An empirical study in Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 463-487, October.
- Joan Enric Ricart & Michael J Enright & Pankaj Ghemawat & Stuart L Hart & Tarun Khanna, 2004. "New frontiers in international strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 175-200, May.
- Dong, Li & Glaister, Keith W., 2006. "Motives and partner selection criteria in international strategic alliances: Perspectives of Chinese firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 577-600, December.
- Birkinshaw, Julian & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Holm, Ulf & Terjesen, Siri, 2006. "Why Do Some Multinational Corporations Relocate Their Headquarters Overseas?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 54, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Robert E. Spekman, 1998. "Alliance Management: A View from the Past and a Look to the Future," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 747-772, November.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Nakamura, Masao, 2005. "Joint venture instability, learning and the relative bargaining power of the parent firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 465-493, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:19:y:2010:i:3:p:247-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.