Development of a national position paper for chronic care: Example of Belgium
The management of chronic diseases is a prime challenge of most 21st century health care systems. Many Western countries have invested heavily in care plans oriented towards specific conditions and diseases, such as dementia and cancer. The major downside of this narrowly focused approach is that treatment of multimorbidity is ignored. This paper describes the development and main stance of a national position that proposes streamlined reforms of the Belgian health care system to improve care for patients with multiple chronic diseases. We used a combination of methods to develop this stance: literature review and stakeholders’ consultation. The latter identified areas for improvement: efficiency of the health care system, coordination of care, investments in human care resources, informal caregivers’ support, better accessibility, and changes in the financial payment system. The position paper list 20 recommendations that are translated into about 50 action points to reform the health care system. Chronic care tailored to the patient's needs, including implementation of multidisciplinary teamwork, new functions, task delegation in primary care, and empowerment of the patient and informal caregivers are some major areas discussed. In addition, improved support, revised payment mechanisms, and setting up a quality system, along with the tailoring of patient care, can all facilitate delivery of high quality care in patients with chronic comorbidities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halliday, Timothy J. & He, Hui & Zhang, Hao, 2009.
"Health Investment over the Life-Cycle,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4482, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hui He & Hao Zhang & Tim Halliday, 2010. "Health Investment over the Life-Cycle," 2010 Meeting Papers 1179, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Timothy J. Halliday & Hui He & Hao Zhang, 2009. "Health Investment over the Life-Cycle," Working Papers 200910, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Timothy Halliday & Hui He & Hao Zhang, 2012. "Health Investment over the Life-Cycle," Working Papers 201210, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- ., 2012. "The international politics of disillusionment," Chapters,in: Knowledge, Desire and Power in Global Politics, chapter 7, pages 129-146 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2012. "International reforms," Chapters,in: The Age of Austerity, chapter 5, pages 106-135 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2012. "Money as a supranational public good," Chapters,in: The New Global Political Economy, chapter 5, pages 133-177 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- He, Dong, 2012. "Renminbi Internationalisation: A Primer," MPRA Paper 40672, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- ., 2012. "The aftermath of the National Industrial Recovery Act," Chapters,in: Markets, Planning and the Moral Economy, chapter 11, pages i-ii Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Dong He & Robert N McCauley, 2012. "Eurodollar banking and currency internationalisation," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Tsiachristas, Apostolos & Hipple-Walters, Bethany & Lemmens, Karin M.M. & Nieboer, Anna P. & Rutten-van Mölken, Maureen P.M.H., 2011. "Towards integrated care for chronic conditions: Dutch policy developments to overcome the (financial) barriers," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 122-132, July.
- Patricia Sourdin & Richard Pomfret, 2012. "Measuring International Trade Costs," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 740-756, 06.
- Unido, 2012. "International Yearbook of Industrial Statistics 2012," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 14552.
- ., 2012. "Specialization and coordination," Chapters,in: Managing Transaction Costs in the Era of Globalization, chapter 2, pages 12-20 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- H.-M. Füssel & Stéphane Hallegatte & M. Reder, 2012. "International Adaptation Funding," Post-Print hal-00801907, HAL.
- García-Goñi, Manuel & Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Nuño-Solinís, Roberto & Paolucci, Francesco, 2012. "Pathways towards chronic care-focused healthcare systems: Evidence from Spain," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 236-245. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:111:y:2013:i:2:p:105-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)or ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.