Information transmission across currency futures markets: Evidence from frequency domain tests
We investigate return and volatility spillovers across the currency futures markets utilizing recently developed frequency domain tests. Our analysis permits to differentiate between permanent and transitory linkages between the markets by examining high and low frequency dynamics. We identify significant informational dependencies between the euro, yen, Swiss franc and pound futures markets, which should be important for market participants and policy makers.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inagaki, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Testing for volatility spillover between the British pound and the euro," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-174, June.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gardeazabal, Javier & Yilmaz, Kamil, 1994.
" On Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 727-35, June.
- AuYong, Hue Hwa & Gan, Christopher & Treepongkaruna, Sirimon, 2004. "Cointegration and causality in the Asian and emerging foreign exchange markets: Evidence from the 1990s financial crises," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 479-515.
- Angela Black & David McMillan, 2004. "Long run trends and volatility spillovers in daily exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(12), pages 895-907.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Kocagil, Ahmet E. & Mansur, Iqbal, 2007. "Information transmission and spillover in currency markets: A generalized variance decomposition analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 312-330, May.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2005. "Strategies of exchange rate policy in G3 economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 68-74, October.
- Asimakopoulos, Ioannis & Ayling, David & Mansor Mahmood, Wan, 2000. "Non-linear Granger causality in the currency futures returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 25-30, July.
- Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1990.
"Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 525-42, May.
- Robert F. Engle & Takatoshi Ito & Wen-Ling Lin, 1988. "Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-Daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Working Papers 2609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Marsh, Ian W, 1999.
"Currency Spillovers and Tri-Polarity: A Simultaneous Model of the US Dollar, German Mark and Japanese Yen,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2210, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Marsh, Ian W., 2004. "Currency spillovers and tri-polarity: a simultaneous model of the US dollar, German mark and Japanese yen," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 99-111, February.
- Ian Marsh & Ronald MacDonald, 1999. "Currency Spillovers and Tri-Polarity: a Simultaneous Model of the US Dollar, German Mark and Japanese Yen," Working Papers wp99-14, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Gabriele Galati & Philip D. Wooldridge, 2006.
"The euro as a reserve currency: a challenge to the pre-eminence of the US dollar?,"
BIS Working Papers
218, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gabriele Galati & Philip Wooldridge, 2009. "The euro as a reserve currency: a challenge to the pre-eminence of the US dollar?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 1-23.
- Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderlind, 2010.
"Safe Haven Currencies,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 14(3), pages 385-407.
- Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderlind, 2007. "Safe Haven Currencies," Working Papers 2007-17, Swiss National Bank.
- Ranaldo, Angelo & Söderlind, Paul, 2009. "Safe Haven Currencies," CEPR Discussion Papers 7249, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderlind, 2007. "Safe Haven Currencies," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-22, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2002. "Fluctuations in the Swiss Franc: What has Changed Since the Euro's Introduction?," Working Papers 02.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Kitamura, Yoshihiro, 2010. "Testing for intraday interdependence and volatility spillover among the euro, the pound and the Swiss franc markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 158-171, June.
- Haug, Alfred A. & MacKinnon, James G. & Michelis, Leo, 2000. "European Monetary Union: a cointegration analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 419-432, June.
- Baffes, John, 1994. "Does comovement among exchange rates imply market inefficiency?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 273-280.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Lorenzo Giorgianni, 1996.
"Long-horizon exchange rate predictability?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-39, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kühl, Michael, 2010. "Bivariate cointegration of major exchange rates, cross-market efficiency and the introduction of the Euro," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Nikkinen, Jussi & Sahlstrom, Petri & Vahamaa, Sami, 2006. "Implied volatility linkages among major European currencies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 87-103, April.
- Breitung, Jorg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006. "Testing for short- and long-run causality: A frequency-domain approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 363-378, June.
- Kearney, Colm & Muckley, Cal, 2008. "Can the traditional Asian US dollar peg exchange rate regime be extended to include the Japanese yen?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 870-885, December.
- Ibrahim Chowdhury & Lucio Sarno, 2004. "Time-Varying Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market: New Evidence on its Persistence and on Currency Spillovers," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5-6), pages 759-793.
- Ciner, Cetin, 2011. "Commodity prices and inflation: Testing in the frequency domain," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 229-237, September.
- Michael Melvin & Bettina Peiers Melvin, 2003. "The Global Transmission of Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 670-679, August.
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1989. "Market efficiency and cointegration: an application to the sterling and deutschemark exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Kang, Heejoon, 2008. "The cointegration relationships among G-7 foreign exchange rates," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 446-460, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:20:y:2011:i:3:p:134-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.