Usury ceilings and bank lending behavior: Evidence from nineteenth century New York
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Temin, Peter & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2004.
"Financial Repression in a Natural Experiment: Loan Allocation and the Change in the Usury Laws in 1714,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4452, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Temin & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2005. "Financial Repression in a Natural Experiment: Loan Allocation and the Change in the Usury Laws in 1714," Working Papers 209, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Boyes, W J & Furnish, Dale Beck, 1984. "A Note on the Use of Incorporation as an Escape from Usury Ceilings," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 367-372, March.
- Jaffee, Dwight M & Modigliani, Franco, 1969. "A Theory and Test of Credit Rationing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 850-872, December.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & William C. Hunter, 1994. "Financial repression and economic development," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Sep, pages 1-11.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2006.
"Bank Chartering and Political Corruption in Antebellum New York. Free Banking as Reform,"
NBER Chapters,in: Corruption and Reform: Lessons from America's Economic History, pages 231-258
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2004. "Bank Chartering and Political Corruption in Antebellum New York: Free Banking as Reform," NBER Working Papers 10479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Ongena, S. & Smith, D.C., 2000. "Bank relationships : A review," Other publications TiSEM 993b88a5-9a0f-42de-9cec-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Peterson, Richard L, 1983. " Usury Laws and Consumer Credit: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1299-1304, September.
- Rudolph C. Blitz & Millard F. Long, 1965. "The Economics of Usury Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 608-608.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Scheinkman, Jose, 1998.
"Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be: An Economic Analysis of Interest Restrictions and Usury Laws,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 1-36, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1994. "Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be: An Economic Analysis of Interest Restrictions and Usury Laws," NBER Working Papers 4954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1995. "Long-Term Contracts, Short-Term Investment and Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 557-575.
- Wolken, John D & Navratil, Frank J, 1981. "The Economic Impact of the Federal Credit Union Usury Ceiling," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(5), pages 1157-1168, December.
- Elsas, Ralf, 2005. "Empirical determinants of relationship lending," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 32-57, January.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Goldberg, Lawrence G., 2004. "Relationship lending: a survey of the literature," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 315-330.
- John Tuccillo, 1977. "Taxation by Regulation: The Case of Financial Intermediaries," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 577-587, Autumn.
- Ostas, James R, 1976. "Effects of Usury Ceilings in the Mortgage Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 821-834, June.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Bodenhorn, Howard, 1992. "Capital Mobility and Financial Integration in Antebellum America," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(03), pages 585-610, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Greasley & Les Oxley, 2010.
"Cliometrics And Time Series Econometrics: Some Theory And Applications,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 970-1042, December.
- David Grreasley, 2010. "Cliometrics and Time Series Econometrics: Some Theory and Applications," Working Papers in Economics 10/56, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Guimarães, Bernardo & Salama, Bruno Meyerhof, 2017.
"Contingent judicial deference: theory and application to usury laws,"
Textos para discussão
440, FGV/EESP - Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bernardo Guimaraes & Bruno Meyerhof Salama, 2017. "Contingent Judicial Deference: theory and application to usury laws," Discussion Papers 1729, Centre for Macroeconomics (CFM).
- repec:eee:exehis:v:65:y:2017:i:c:p:68-93 is not listed on IDEAS
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2016.
"Two Centuries of Finance and Growth in the United States, 1790-1980,"
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2016. "Two Centuries of Finance and Growth in the United States, 1790-1980," NBER Working Papers 22652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2011. "Partnership fragility and credit costs," NBER Working Papers 16689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maimbo, Samuel Munzele & Henriquez Gallegos, Claudia Alejandra, 2014. "Interest rate caps around the world: still popular, but a blunt instrument," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7070, The World Bank.
- Kirschenmann, K., 2010. "The Dynamics in Requested and Granted Loan Terms when Bank and Borrower Interact Repeatedly," Discussion Paper 2010-63, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wang, Ta-Chen, 2008. "Paying back to borrow more: Reputation and bank credit access in early America," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 477-488, September.
- Guimaraesy, Bernardo & Meyerhof Salama, Bruno, 2017. "Contingent judicial deference: theory and application to usury laws," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 86146, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zegarra, Luis Felipe, 2017.
"Usury laws and private credit in Lima, Peru. Evidence from notarized records,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 68-93.
- Luis Felipe Zegarra, 2016. "Usury laws and Private Credit in Lima, Peru. Evidence from notarized contracts," Working Papers 2016-65, Peruvian Economic Association.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:exehis:v:44:y:2007:i:2:p:179-202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622830 .