Do OPEC announcements influence oil prices?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bradley T. Ewing & Farooq Malik, 2010. "Estimating Volatility Persistence in Oil Prices Under Structural Breaks," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1011-1023, November.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Bowden, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2008. "Short term forecasting of electricity prices for MISO hubs: Evidence from ARIMA-EGARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 3186-3197, November.
- James L. Smith, 2005.
"Inscrutable OPEC? Behavioral Tests of the Cartel Hypothesis,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 51-82.
- James L. Smith, 2003. "Inscrutable OPEC? Behavioral Tests of the Cartel Hypothesis," Working Papers 0305, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Brémond, Vincent & Hache, Emmanuel & Mignon, Valérie, 2012.
"Does OPEC still exist as a cartel? An empirical investigation,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 125-131.
- Vincent Brémond & Emmanuel Hache & Valérie Mignon, 2011. "Does OPEC still exist as a cartel? An empirical investigation," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-5, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Vincent Brémond & Emmanuel Hache & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "Does OPEC still exist as a cartel? An empirical investigation," Post-Print hal-01385802, HAL.
- Geroski, Paul A & Ulph, Alistair M & Ulph, David T, 1987. "A Model of the Crude Oil Market in Which Market Conduct Varies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 77-86, Supplemen.
- Mohammadi, Hassan & Su, Lixian, 2010. "International evidence on crude oil price dynamics: Applications of ARIMA-GARCH models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1001-1008, September.
- Bollino, Carlo Andrea, 2007. "Oil prices and the U.S. trade deficit," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 729-738.
- Stephen W. Salant, 1982.
"Imperfect Competition in the International Energy Market: A Computerized Nash-Cournot Model,"
INFORMS, vol. 30(2), pages 252-280, April.
- Salant, Stephen W., 1982. "Imperfect competition in the international energy market: a computerized Nash-Cournot model," MPRA Paper 12021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mensi, Walid & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2014. "How do OPEC news and structural breaks impact returns and volatility in crude oil markets? Further evidence from a long memory process," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 343-354.
- Charles J. Corrado, 2011. "Event studies: A methodology review," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(1), pages 207-234, March.
- Tao Wang & Jingtao Wu & Jian Yang, 2008. "Realized volatility and correlation in energy futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(10), pages 993-1011, October.
- A.F Alhajji & David Huettner, 2000. "OPEC and World Crude Oil Markets from 1973 to 1994: Cartel, Oligopoly, or Competitive?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 31-60.
- Matsumoto, Ken'ichi & Voudouris, Vlasios & Stasinopoulos, Dimitrios & Rigby, Robert & Di Maio, Carlo, 2012. "Exploring crude oil production and export capacity of the OPEC Middle East countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 820-828.
- Wei, Yu & Wang, Yudong & Huang, Dengshi, 2010. "Forecasting crude oil market volatility: Further evidence using GARCH-class models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1477-1484, November.
- Marco G.D. Guidi & Alexander Russell & Heather Tarbert, 2006. "The effect of OPEC policy decisions on oil and stock prices," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 30(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Dennis W. Draper, 1984. "The behavior of event‐related returns on oil futures contracts," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 125-132, June.
- Bassam Fattouh & Lavan Mahadeva, 2013. "OPEC: What Difference Has It Made?," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 427-443, June.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1989:i:15-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Deaves & Itzhak Krinsky, 1992. "The behavior of oil futures returns around OPEC conferences," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 563-574, October.
- Stephen M. Horan, Jeffrey H. Peterson, and James Mahar, 2004. "Implied Volatility of Oil Futures Options Surrounding OPEC Meetings," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 103-126.
- Griffin, James M & Neilson, William S, 1994. "The 1985-86 Oil Price Collapse and Afterwards: What Does Game Theory Add?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(4), pages 543-561, October.
- Robert K. Kaufmann, Stephane Dees, Pavlos Karadeloglou and Marcelo Sanchez, 2004. "Does OPEC Matter? An Econometric Analysis of Oil Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 67-90.
- Hyndman, Kyle, 2008. "Disagreement in bargaining: An empirical analysis of OPEC," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 811-828, May.
- Bina Cyrus & Vo Minh, 2007. "OPEC in the Epoch of Globalization: An Event Study of Global Oil Prices," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-52, February.
- Ezzati, Ali, 1976. "Future OPEC price and production strategies as affected by its capacity to absorb oil revenues," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 107-138, August.
- Franz Wirl and Azra Kujundzic, 2004. "The Impact of OPEC Conference Outcomes on World Oil Prices 1984-2001," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 45-62.
- M.A. Adelman, 1980. "The Clumsy Cartel," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1).
- S. Gurcan Gulen, 1996.
"Is OPEC a Cartel? Evidence from Cointegration and Causality Tests,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 43-57.
- Salih Gurcan Gulen, 1996. "Is OPEC a Cartel? Evidence from Cointegration and Causality Tests," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 318., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lin, Sharon Xiaowen & Tamvakis, Michael, 2010. "OPEC announcements and their effects on crude oil prices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1010-1016, February.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1978. "Gains to Producers from the Cartelization of Exhaustible Resources," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 238-251, May.
- Jeff Colgan & Robert Keohane & Thijs Van de Graaf, 2012. "Punctuated equilibrium in the energy regime complex," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 117-143, June.
- Robert Savickas, 2003. "Event-Induced Volatility and Tests for Abnormal Performance," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 165-178.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema, 2007. "Modelling oil price volatility," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6549-6553, December.
- Schmidbauer, Harald & Rösch, Angi, 2012. "OPEC news announcements: Effects on oil price expectation and volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1656-1663.
- Griffin, James M, 1985. "OPEC Behavior: A Test of Alternative Hypotheses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 954-963, December.
- Loderer, Claudio, 1985. " A Test of the OPEC Cartel Hypothesis: 1974-1983," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 991-1006, July.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1989:i:15-16:p:19 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Demirer, RIza & Kutan, Ali M., 2010. "The behavior of crude oil spot and futures prices around OPEC and SPR announcements: An event study perspective," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1467-1476, November.
- Morana, Claudio, 2001. "A semiparametric approach to short-term oil price forecasting," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 325-338, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:enepol:v:111:y:2017:i:c:p:166-178 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ansari, Dawud, 2017.
"OPEC, Saudi Arabia, and the shale revolution: Insights from equilibrium modelling and oil politics,"
Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 166-178.
- Ansari, Dawud, 2017. "OPEC, Saudi Arabia, and the Shale Revolution: Insights from Equilibrium Modelling and Oil Politics," MPRA Paper 78657, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chul-Yong Lee & Sung-Yoon Huh, 2017. "Forecasting Long-Term Crude Oil Prices Using a Bayesian Model with Informative Priors," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(2), pages 1-15, January.
- repec:eee:eneeco:v:70:y:2018:i:c:p:98-115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rangan Gupta & Seong-Min Yoon, 2017. "OPEC News and Predictability of Oil Futures Returns and Volatility: Evidence from a Nonparametric Causality-in-Quantiles Approach," Working Papers 201726, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsWTI crude oil; Brent crude oil; OPEC; Announcements; Event study; EGARCH;
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:90:y:2016:i:c:p:262-272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.