How much CO2 emissions do we reduce by saving electricity? A focus on methods
In this paper we evaluate two approaches for estimating CO2 emission reduction from electricity savings: one based on average CO2 intensities of electricity generation and another that relies on marginal CO2 intensities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhou, Nan & Fridley, David & McNeil, Michael & Zheng, Nina & Letschert, Virginie & Ke, Jing & Saheb, Yamina, 2011. "Analysis of potential energy saving and CO2 emission reduction of home appliances and commercial equipments in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4541-4550, August.
- Tran Tuyen & Axel Michaelowa, 2006. "UNFCCC Kyoto Protocol Clean Development Mechanism Baseline Construction for Vietnam National Electricity Grid," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 723-740, May.
- Saidur, R. & Mahlia, T.M.I., 2010. "Energy, economic and environmental benefits of using high-efficiency motors to replace standard motors for the Malaysian industries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4617-4625, August.
- Glasnovic, Zvonimir & Margeta, Jure, 2011. "Vision of total renewable electricity scenario," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1873-1884, May.
- Bettle, R. & Pout, C.H. & Hitchin, E.R., 2006. "Interactions between electricity-saving measures and carbon emissions from power generation in England and Wales," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3434-3446, December.
- van Alphen, Klaas & van Voorst tot Voorst, Quirine & Hekkert, Marko P. & Smits, Ruud E.H.M., 2007. "Societal acceptance of carbon capture and storage technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4368-4380, August.
- Bang, Guri, 2010. "Energy security and climate change concerns: Triggers for energy policy change in the United States?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1645-1653, April.
- Graus, W.H.J. & Voogt, M. & Worrell, E., 2007. "International comparison of energy efficiency of fossil power generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3936-3951, July.
- Palmer, Karen & Paul, Anthony & Woerman, Matt, 2011.
"Federal Policies for Renewable Electricity: Impacts and Interactions,"
dp-10-53, Resources For the Future.
- Palmer, Karen & Paul, Anthony & Woerman, Matt & Steinberg, Daniel C., 2011. "Federal policies for renewable electricity: Impacts and interactions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3975-3991, July.
- Graus, Wina & Worrell, Ernst, 2011. "Methods for calculating CO2 intensity of power generation and consumption: A global perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 613-627, February.
- Hekkert, Marko P. & Harmsen, Robert & de Jong, Arjen, 2007. "Explaining the rapid diffusion of Dutch cogeneration by innovation system functioning," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4677-4687, September.
- Uyterlinde, Martine A. & Junginger, Martin & de Vries, Hage J. & Faaij, Andre P.C. & Turkenburg, Wim C., 2007. "Implications of technological learning on the prospects for renewable energy technologies in Europe," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4072-4087, August.
- Nässén, Jonas & Sprei, Frances & Holmberg, John, 2008. "Stagnating energy efficiency in the Swedish building sector--Economic and organisational explanations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3814-3822, October.
- Psomopoulos, C.S. & Skoula, I. & Karras, C. & Chatzimpiros, A. & Chionidis, M., 2010. "Electricity savings and CO2 emissions reduction in buildings sector: How important the network losses are in the calculation?," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 485-490.
- Shrestha, Ram M. & Natarajan, Bhaskar & Chakaravarti, K.K. & Rabin Shrestha,, 1998. "Environmental and power generation implications of efficient electrical appliances for India," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1065-1072.
- Doucette, Reed T. & McCulloch, Malcolm D., 2011. "Modeling the CO2 emissions from battery electric vehicles given the power generation mixes of different countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 803-811, February.
- George, Mel & Banerjee, Rangan, 2011. "A methodology for analysis of impacts of grid integration of renewable energy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1265-1276, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:60:y:2013:i:c:p:803-812. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.