Incorporating socio-environmental considerations into project assessment models using multi-criteria analysis: A case study of Sri Lankan hydropower projects
Before commissioning any energy projects, conducting robust assessments of different options in terms of their economic and socio-environmental impacts is important for successful project implementation. Yet, there is currently a lack of tools that simultaneously assess sustainability impacts; instead, they are often investigated separately, which gives decision makers somehow disintegrated information. Thus the main objective of this study is to examine how to incorporate socio-environmental considerations into project assessment models. The multi-criteria analysis is applied to the case study of Sri Lankan hydropower projects as an illustrative example. The estimated quantitative relationship between economic, environmental and social impacts of hydropower development is presented in this study. Such estimation, using sustainability indicators of hydropower projects, enables us to understand marginal trade-offs among economic, environmental and social objectives of hydropower development. Hence, this would provide an overview of potential impacts of different scenarios that are designed to be implemented and indicate an optimum mix of hydropower generation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ojeda, Monica Ilija & Mayer, Alex S. & Solomon, Barry D., 2008. "Economic valuation of environmental services sustained by water flows in the Yaqui River Delta," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 155-166, March.
- Shradha Panwar & Devendra Agrawal & Girish Negi & Khilendra Kanwal & Vertika Sharma & Mahendra Lodhi & Jitendra Singh & Vishwapati Bhatt, 2010. "Impact assessment of a hydroelectric project on the flora in the Western Himalayan region based on vegetation analysis and socio-economic studies," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(7), pages 907-923.
- S. Thompson & J. R. Treweek & D. J. Thurling, 1997. "The Ecological Component of Environmental Impact Assessment: A Critical Review of British Environmental Statements," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 157-172.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, March.
- Kenneth M. Strzepek & Gary W. Yohe & Richard S.J. Tol & Mark Rosegrant, 2006.
"The Value Of The High Aswan Dam To The Egyptian Economy,"
FNU-111, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Jun 2006.
- Strzepek, Kenneth M. & Yohe, Gary W. & Tol, Richard S.J. & Rosegrant, Mark W., 2008. "The value of the high Aswan Dam to the Egyptian economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 117-126, May.
- Nachtnebel, H P & Hanisch, P & Duckstein, L, 1986. "Multicriterion Analysis of Small Hydropower Plants under Fuzzy Objectives," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 86-103, November.
- Callens, Isabelle & Tyteca, Daniel, 1999. "Towards indicators of sustainable development for firms: A productive efficiency perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 41-53, January.
- Wang, Jiang-Jiang & Jing, You-Yin & Zhang, Chun-Fa & Zhao, Jun-Hong, 2009. "Review on multi-criteria decision analysis aid in sustainable energy decision-making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2263-2278, December.
- Matete, Mampiti & Hassan, Rashid, 2006. "Integrated ecological economics accounting approach to evaluation of inter-basin water transfers: An application to the Lesotho Highlands Water Project," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 246-259, November.
- Gunawardena, U.A.D. Prasanthi, 2010. "Inequalities and externalities of power sector: A case of Broadlands hydropower project in Sri Lanka," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 726-734, February.
- Risa Morimoto & Mohan Munasinghe, 2005. "Small hydropower projects and sustainable energy development in Sri Lanka," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 24(1/2), pages 3-18.
- Kodituwakku, Dekshika Charmini & Wattage, P., 2008. "Review of environmental impact assessment (EIA) in hydropower projects in Sri Lanka. Abstract only," Conference Papers h041542, International Water Management Institute.
- Kataria, Mitesh, 2009. "Willingness to pay for environmental improvements in hydropower regulated rivers," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 69-76, January.
- Gowan, Charles & Stephenson, Kurt & Shabman, Leonard, 2006. "The role of ecosystem valuation in environmental decision making: Hydropower relicensing and dam removal on the Elwha River," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 508-523, April.
- Klimpt, Jean-Etienne & Rivero, Cristina & Puranen, Hannu & Koch, Frans, 2002. "Recommendations for sustainable hydroelectric development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(14), pages 1305-1312, November.
- Brouwer, Roy & Hofkes, Marjan, 2008. "Integrated hydro-economic modelling: Approaches, key issues and future research directions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 16-22, May.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Vindigni, Gabriella & Nunes, Paulo A.L.D., 2008. "Economic valuation of biodiversity: A comparative study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-231, September.
- Supriyasilp, Thanaporn & Pongput, Kobkiat & Boonyasirikul, Thana, 2009. "Hydropower development priority using MCDM method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1866-1875, May.
- Thomas, David H. L. & Adams, William M., 1999. "Adapting to Dams: Agrarian Change Downstream of the Tiga Dam, Northern Nigeria," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 919-935, June.
- Afgan, Naim H. & Carvalho, Maria G., 2002. "Multi-criteria assessment of new and renewable energy power plants," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 739-755.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Bulan, L.C., 2011. "Behind an ambitious megaproject in Asia: The history and implications of the Bakun hydroelectric dam in Borneo," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4842-4859, September.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M., 2001. "Economic valuation of biodiversity: sense or nonsense?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 203-222, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:59:y:2013:i:c:p:643-653. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.