Behind an ambitious megaproject in Asia: The history and implications of the Bakun hydroelectric dam in Borneo
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Keong, Choy Yee, 2005. "Energy demand, economic growth, and energy efficiency--the Bakun dam-induced sustainable energy policy revisited," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 679-689, March.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Brossmann, Brent, 2010. "Symbolic convergence and the hydrogen economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1999-2012, April.
- Kempton, Willett & Montgomery, Laura, 1982. "Folk quantification of energy," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 7(10), pages 817-827.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & D'Agostino, Anthony L. & Jain Bambawale, Malavika, 2011. "The socio-technical barriers to Solar Home Systems (SHS) in Papua New Guinea: "Choosing pigs, prostitutes, and poker chips over panels"," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1532-1542, March.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2009. "Rejecting renewables: The socio-technical impediments to renewable electricity in the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4500-4513, November.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2009. "Energy policy and cooperation in Southeast Asia: The history, challenges, and implications of the trans-ASEAN gas pipeline (TAGP) network," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2356-2367, June.
- Ball,Michael & Wietschel,Martin (ed.), 2010. "The Hydrogen Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521178549, January.
- Koh, Siong Lee & Lim, Yun Seng, 2010. "Meeting energy demand in a developing economy without damaging the environment--A case study in Sabah, Malaysia, from technical, environmental and economic perspectives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4719-4728, August.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2010. "A comparative analysis of renewable electricity support mechanisms for Southeast Asia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1779-1793.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Morimoto, Risako, 2013. "Incorporating socio-environmental considerations into project assessment models using multi-criteria analysis: A case study of Sri Lankan hydropower projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 643-653.
- Peter Ho & Bin Md Saman Nor-Hisham & Heng Zhao, 2020. "Limits of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) in Malaysia: Dam Politics, Rent-Seeking, and Conflict," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(24), pages 1-16, December.
- Ho, Lip-Wah, 2016. "Wind energy in Malaysia: Past, present and future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 279-295.
- Preetha K. V. & Ajit Menon, 2019. "Neo-Liberalising Energy Production: The Making and Unmaking of an Ultra Mega Power Project in South India," Review of Development and Change, , vol. 24(2), pages 242-258, December.
- Awojobi, Omotola & Jenkins, Glenn P., 2015.
"Were the hydro dams financed by the World Bank from 1976 to 2005 worthwhile?,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 222-232.
- Omotola Awojobi & Glenn P. Jenkins, 2015. "Were the Hydro Dams Financed by the World Bank from 1976 to 2005 Worthwhile?," Development Discussion Papers 2015-04, JDI Executive Programs.
- Callegari, C. & Szklo, A. & Schaeffer, R., 2018. "Cost overruns and delays in energy megaprojects: How big is big enough?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 211-220.
- Ansar, Atif & Flyvbjerg, Bent & Budzier, Alexander & Lunn, Daniel, 2014.
"Should we build more large dams? The actual costs of hydropower megaproject development,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 43-56.
- Atif Ansar & Bent Flyvbjerg & Alexander Budzier & Daniel Lunn, 2014. "Should we build more large dams? The actual costs of hydropower megaproject development," Papers 1409.0002, arXiv.org.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Enevoldsen, Peter, 2015. "One style to build them all: Corporate culture and innovation in the offshore wind industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 402-415.
- Kosai, Shoki & Yamasue, Eiji, 2019. "Recommendation to ASEAN nuclear development based on lessons learnt from the Fukushima nuclear accident," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 628-635.
- Sascha Samadi, 2017. "The Social Costs of Electricity Generation—Categorising Different Types of Costs and Evaluating Their Respective Relevance," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(3), pages 1-37, March.
- Tamm, Ottar & Tamm, Toomas, 2020. "Verification of a robust method for sizing and siting the small hydropower run-of-river plant potential by using GIS," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 155(C), pages 153-159.
- Curran, Franziska & Smart, Simon & Lacey, Justine & Greig, Chris & Lant, Paul, 2018. "Learning from experience in the water sector to improve access to energy services," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 41-50.
- de Faria, Felipe A.M. & Davis, Alex & Severnini, Edson & Jaramillo, Paulina, 2017. "The local socio-economic impacts of large hydropower plant development in a developing country," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 533-544.
- Laurence Delina, 2017. "Multilateral development banking in a fragmented climate system: shifting priorities in energy finance at the Asian Development Bank," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 73-88, February.
- Rebecca Peters & Jürgen Berlekamp & Ana Lucía & Vittoria Stefani & Klement Tockner & Christiane Zarfl, 2021. "Integrated Impact Assessment for Sustainable Hydropower Planning in the Vjosa Catchment (Greece, Albania)," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(3), pages 1-18, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Drupady, Ira Martina, 2011. "Examining the Small Renewable Energy Power (SREP) Program in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7244-7256.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Drupady, Ira Martina, 2011. "Summoning earth and fire: The energy development implications of Grameen Shakti (GS) in Bangladesh," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 4445-4459.
- Peter Andreasen, Kristian & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2014. "Energy sustainability, stakeholder conflicts, and the future of hydrogen in Denmark," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 891-897.
- Chaiyapa, Warathida & Esteban, Miguel & Kameyama, Yasuko, 2018. "Why go green? Discourse analysis of motivations for Thailand's oil and gas companies to invest in renewable energy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 448-459.
- Friebe, Christian A. & von Flotow, Paschen & Täube, Florian A., 2014.
"Exploring technology diffusion in emerging markets – the role of public policy for wind energy,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 217-226.
- Christian A. Friebe & Paschen von Flotow & Florian Taübe, 2014. "Exploring technology diffusion in emerging markets: The role of public policy for wind energy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/206763, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Scarpaci, Joseph, 2016. "Energy justice and the contested petroleum politics of stranded assets: Policy insights from the Yasuní-ITT Initiative in Ecuador," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 158-171.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Bulan, L.C., 2012. "Energy security and hydropower development in Malaysia: The drivers and challenges facing the Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (SCORE)," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 113-129.
- Dulal, Hari Bansha & Shah, Kalim U. & Sapkota, Chandan & Uma, Gengaiah & Kandel, Bibek R., 2013. "Renewable energy diffusion in Asia: Can it happen without government support?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 301-311.
- Brown, Alistair, 2016. "The need for improved financial reporting of a developing country energy utility," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 1448-1454.
- Poocharoen, Ora-orn & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2012. "Exploring the challenges of energy and resources network governance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 409-418.
- Zhang, Chuan & Romagnoli, Alessandro & Kim, Je Young & Azli, Anis Athirah Mohd & Rajoo, Srithar & Lindsay, Andrew, 2017. "Implementation of industrial waste heat to power in Southeast Asia: an outlook from the perspective of market potentials, opportunities and success catalysts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 525-535.
- Mishra, Vinod & Smyth, Russell, 2014.
"Convergence in energy consumption per capita among ASEAN countries,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 180-185.
- Vinod Mishra & Russell Smyth, 2014. "Convergence in energy consumption per capita among ASEAN countries," Monash Economics Working Papers 22-14, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Zhao, Xiaoli & Li, Shujie & Zhang, Sufang & Yang, Rui & Liu, Suwei, 2016. "The effectiveness of China's wind power policy: An empirical analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 269-279.
- Elena Claire Ricci, 2013. "Smart-Grids and Climate Change. Consumer adoption of smart energy behaviour: a system dynamics approach to evaluate the mitigation potential," Working Papers 2013.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ng, Thiam Hee & Tao, Jacqueline Yujia, 2016. "Bond financing for renewable energy in Asia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 509-517.
- Gottschamer, L. & Zhang, Q., 2016. "Interactions of factors impacting implementation and sustainability of renewable energy sourced electricity," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 164-174.
- Gholam Reza Zandi & Nadeem Khalid & Dewan Md. Zahurul Islam, 2019. "Nexus of Knowledge Transfer, Green Innovation and Environmental Performance: Impact of Environmental Management Accounting," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 9(5), pages 387-393.
- Adua, Lazarus, 2010. "To cool a sweltering earth: Does energy efficiency improvement offset the climate impacts of lifestyle?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5719-5732, October.
- Oikonomou, Vlasis & Rietbergen, Martijn & Patel, Martin, 2007. "An ex-ante evaluation of a White Certificates scheme in The Netherlands: A case study for the household sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1147-1163, February.
- Sarraf, M. & Rismanchi, B. & Saidur, R. & Ping, H.W. & Rahim, N.A., 2013. "Renewable energy policies for sustainable development in Cambodia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 223-229.
More about this item
KeywordsLarge-scale energy infrastructure Megaprojects Hydroelectric dams;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:9:p:4842-4859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.