Energy abatement in Chinese industry: Cost evaluation of regulation strategies and allocation alternatives
For Chinese industry, the costs of different energy consumption abatement scenarios are evaluated by the method of directional distance function. These scenarios are based on the combinations of regulation strategies and allocation alternatives—the former are sectors and provinces, and the latter include the five principles of average, intensity share, absolute share, discriminatory absolute and discriminatory intensity. For all the scenarios, the quantitative impacts in terms of output potential loss are calculated and compared. Due to less output potential loss for all the allocation alternatives, the sector regulation strategy is shown to be more effective than the province regulation strategy. It is also demonstrated that, among all the scenarios considered, the sector regulation based on the intensity share principle and the province regulation based on the absolute share principle are the two optimal. The performances of energy abatement allocation of the 11th and 12th Five Year Plans of China are assessed against the simulated scenarios.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, B. & Chen, G.Q., 2007. "Resource analysis of the Chinese society 1980-2002 based on exergy--Part 4: Fishery and rangeland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2079-2086, April.
- Benoit Dervaux & Gary Ferrier & Herve Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2004. "Comparing French and US hospital technologies: a directional input distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1065-1081.
- S. Blancard & J.Ph. Boussemart & W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Chen, B. & Chen, G.Q., 2007. "Resource analysis of the Chinese society 1980-2002 based on exergy--Part 3: Agricultural products," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2065-2078, April.
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 2010.
"China in the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy,"
2010.76, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Watanabe, Michio & Tanaka, Katsuya, 2007. "Efficiency analysis of Chinese industry: A directional distance function approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6323-6331, December.
- Eichhorst, Urda & Bongardt, Daniel, 2009. "Towards cooperative policy approaches in China--Drivers for voluntary agreements on industrial energy efficiency in Nanjing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1855-1865, May.
- Chang, Yen-Chiang & Wang, Nannan, 2010. "Environmental regulations and emissions trading in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3356-3364, July.
- Wang, Qiang & Qiu, Huan-Ning & Kuang, Yaoqiu, 2009. "Market-driven energy pricing necessary to ensure China's power supply," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2498-2504, July.
- Boyd, Gale A. & McClelland, John D., 1999. "The Impact of Environmental Constraints on Productivity Improvement in Integrated Paper Plants," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 121-142, September.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Monique Moing, 2007. "Productivity and environmental regulation: the effect of the nitrates directive in the French pig sector," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 433-446, December.
- Zhao, Xiaoli & Yin, Haitao, 2011. "Industrial relocation and energy consumption: Evidence from China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2944-2956, May.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2004. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation: Comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 242-245, August.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J. & Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Hernandez-Sancho, Francesc, 2005. "Directional distance functions and environmental regulation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Gale Boyd & George Tolley & Joseph Pang, 2002. "Plant Level Productivity, Efficiency, and Environmental Performance of the Container Glass Industry," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(1), pages 29-43, September.
- Wei, Yi-Ming & Liao, Hua & Fan, Ying, 2007. "An empirical analysis of energy efficiency in China's iron and steel sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2262-2270.
- Mukherjee, Kankana, 2010. "Measuring energy efficiency in the context of an emerging economy: The case of indian manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 933-941, March.
- Xia, X.H. & Huang, G.T. & Chen, G.Q. & Zhang, Bo & Chen, Z.M. & Yang, Q., 2011. "Energy security, efficiency and carbon emission of Chinese industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3520-3528, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:45:y:2012:i:c:p:449-458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.