Plant Level Productivity, Efficiency, and Environmental Performance of the Container Glass Industry
This paper presents a methodology and empirical results based on theMalmquist productivity index. We measure productivity while treatingpollution as an undesirable output. Our estimates show that technicalchange has contributed to productivity and environmental performancegrowth in the container glass industry, an energy and pollution intensivesector. Changes in inter-plant efficiency over time have made thisproductivity growth more rapid than otherwise would have occurred withthe underlying technical change. The efficiency estimates show that thereare both opportunities to improve productivity and reduce pollution in thisindustry, as well as productivity losses associated with the emissionscontrol. The shadow prices for NOx, the undesirable output we analyze,is quite high compared to other regulated sectors. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
Volume (Year): 23 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karen Palmer & Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1995. "Tightening Environmental Standards: The Benefit-Cost or the No-Cost Paradigm?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 119-132, Fall.
- William A Pizer & Jhih-Shyang Shih & Richard D Morgenstern, 1997. "Are We Overstating the Economic Costs of Environmental Protection?," Working Papers 97-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1993.
"Environmental Regulation and Manufacturing Productivity at the Plant Level,"
NBER Working Papers
4321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1993. "Environmental Regulation And Manufacturing Productivity At The Plant Level," Working Papers 93-6, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Boyd, Gale A. & McClelland, John D., 1999. "The Impact of Environmental Constraints on Productivity Improvement in Integrated Paper Plants," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 121-142, September.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:23:y:2002:i:1:p:29-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.