Policy changes and the dynamics of capacity expansion in the Swiss electricity market
Capacity of supply is a crucial matter in electricity markets as it directly influences reliability of supply, price volatility and blackout risk. In this paper, we analyse the dynamics of capacity expansion in the Swiss electricity market and the impact of different policies such as nuclear phaseout and management of electricity exchanges - imports and exports - policies. This article develops the conceptualization model presented in [Ochoa, P., 2007b. Policy changes in the Swiss electricity market: a system dynamics analysis of likely market responses. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 41 (4):336-349.]. We build a system dynamics model based on the dynamics of capacity expansion explained in the latter paper and present and analyse different scenarios. We conclude that international electricity exchanges are important for the Swiss market as they help to lower costs and to increase the income of the utility companies; however, we illustrate the need for explicit policies for managing imports and exports of electricity to avoid import dependence from neighbouring countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viklund, Mattias, 2004. "Energy policy options--from the perspective of public attitudes and risk perceptions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1159-1171, July.
- Massimo Filippini & Silvia Banfi, 2002. "Impact of the new Swiss electricity law on the competitiveness of hydropower," CEPE Working paper series 02-12, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Frei, Christoph W., 2004. "The Kyoto protocol--a victim of supply security?: or: if Maslow were in energy politics," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1253-1256, July.
- Verbruggen, Aviel, 2004. "Tradable green certificates in Flanders (Belgium)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 165-176, January.
- Jegen, Maya & Wustenhagen, Rolf, 2001. "Modernise it, sustainabilise it! Swiss energy policy on the eve of electricity market liberalisation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 45-54, January.
- Andersson, Bo & Haden, Erik, 1997. "Power production and the price of electricity: an analysis of a phase-out of Swedish nuclear power," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(13), pages 1051-1064, November.
- Helm, Dieter, 2002. "Energy policy: security of supply, sustainability and competition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 173-184, February.
- Ford, Andrew, 1999. "Cycles in competitive electricity markets: a simulation study of the western United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 637-658, October.
- Nakata, T, 2002. "Analysis of the impacts of nuclear phase-out on energy systems in Japan," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 363-377.
- Brennan, Timothy J., 2003.
"Electricity Capacity Requirements: Who Pays?,"
The Electricity Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 11-22, October.
- Brennan, Timothy, 2003. "Electricity Capacity Requirements: Who Pays?," Discussion Papers dp-03-39, Resources For the Future.
- Ford, Andrew & Geinzer, Jay, 1990. "Adding uncertainty to least-cost planning : A case study of efficiency standards in the Northwest," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 331-339, May.
- Severin Borenstein, 2002. "The Trouble With Electricity Markets: Understanding California's Restructuring Disaster," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 191-211, Winter.
- Gary, Shayne & Larsen, Erik Reimer, 2000. "Improving firm performance in out-of-equilibrium, deregulated markets using feedback simulation models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 845-855, October.
- Welsch, Heinz & Ochsen, Carsten, 2001. "Dismantling of nuclear power in Germany: sectoral and macroeconomic effects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 279-289, March.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James, 2000. "Electricity Restructuring: Deregulation or Reregulation?," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt22d2q3fn, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:37:y:2009:i:5:p:1983-1998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.