Dynamic analysis of various investment incentives and regional capacity assignment in Iranian electricity market
This paper develops a system dynamics model to analyze the impacts of different kinds of capacity payment as investment incentive mechanisms in Iranian electricity market. Since it is aimed that the incurred capital and operating costs of generation technologies be recovered in Iranian electricity pool, the noncompetitive capacity payment mechanism has been introduced for this purpose in order to encourage new investments in electric power generation system. In the current mechanism, the capacity payments are designated to the generating units in the whole country electricity market. An annual base value of capacity payment is proposed based on recovering the capital cost of a benchmark generation technology. This value is altered according to the operational reserve in the day-ahead electricity market. This supporting policy is simulated and analyzed in the proposed dynamic framework in order to track the trend of new investments in the Iranian electricity market. The feasibility study of implementing the regional capacity assignment is the main focus of this paper. Different possible regulating policies such as floating rates for capacity payment and electricity price cap, the multiple capacity payments to various technologies, and the regional electricity market with territorial capacity allocation are examined in order to investigate the consequences and performances of different decisions and policies in the capacity investment of Iranian electricity market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary, Shayne & Larsen, Erik Reimer, 2000. "Improving firm performance in out-of-equilibrium, deregulated markets using feedback simulation models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 845-855, October.
- Ford, Andrew & Vogstad, Klaus & Flynn, Hilary, 2007. "Simulating price patterns for tradable green certificates to promote electricity generation from wind," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 91-111, January.
- Bunn, Derek W. & Larsen, Erik R., 1992. "Sensitivity of reserve margin to factors influencing investment behaviour in the electricity market of England and Wales," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 420-429, May.
- Ford, Andrew, 2001. "Waiting for the boom: : a simulation study of power plant construction in California," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 847-869, September.
- Olsina, Fernando & Garces, Francisco & Haubrich, H.-J., 2006. "Modeling long-term dynamics of electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 1411-1433, August.
- Hasani, Masoud & Hosseini, Seyed Hamid, 2011. "Dynamic assessment of capacity investment in electricity market considering complementary capacity mechanisms," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 277-293.
- Park, Jung-Yeon & Ahn, Nam-Sung & Yoon, Yong-Beum & Koh, Kyung-Ho & Bunn, Derek W., 2007. "Investment incentives in the Korean electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5819-5828, November.
- Pasaoglu Kilanc, Guzay & Or, Ilhan, 2008. "A decision support tool for the analysis of pricing, investment and regulatory processes in a decentralized electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3026-3034, August.
- Hasani-Marzooni, Masoud & Hosseini, Seyed Hamid, 2011. "Dynamic model for market-based capacity investment decision considering stochastic characteristic of wind power," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2205-2219.
- Dyner, Isaac & Larsen, Erik R., 2001. "From planning to strategy in the electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 1145-1154, November.
- Assili, Mohsen & Javidi D.B., M. Hossein & Ghazi, Reza, 2008. "An improved mechanism for capacity payment based on system dynamics modeling for investment planning in competitive electricity environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3703-3713, October.
- Ventosa, Mariano & Baillo, Alvaro & Ramos, Andres & Rivier, Michel, 2005. "Electricity market modeling trends," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 897-913, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:56:y:2013:i:c:p:271-284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.