Grey relation analysis of motor vehicular energy consumption in Taiwan
Grey relation analysis (GRA) was utilized in this study to capture the dynamic characteristics of different factors in the transportation system during their development process and to evaluate the relative influence of the fuel price, the gross domestic product, the number of motor vehicles and the vehicle kilometers of travel (VKT) per energy increase. Furthermore, results from this method were then compared with the OECD decoupling index. This comparison revealed that the steady growth of economic development was strongly correlated with vehicular fuel consumption. The relation grade of 0.967 implies that the increase in the number of passenger cars was another important factor for energy increase. As for the motorcycles, the relative influence of VKT was insignificant, and the positive relationship to GFK indicated that the performance of vehicular energy efficiency has improved in recent years. In comparison to the other factors, the contribution of fuel price was obscure. Additionally, the analysis of decoupling effects also yielded similar results to those of GRA. The coupling index between economic growth and fuel price was observed for passenger cars and motorcycles, while the VKT was relatively decoupled.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tapio, Petri, 2005. "Towards a theory of decoupling: degrees of decoupling in the EU and the case of road traffic in Finland between 1970 and 2001," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 137-151, March.
- Stead, D., 2001. "Transport intensity in Europe -- indicators and trends," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Mielnik, Otavio & Goldemberg, Jose, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and decoupling between energy and gross domestic product in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 87-89, January.
- Wan-wen Chu, 2007. "Taiwan," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Northeast and Southeast Asian Economies, chapter 3 Edward Elgar.
- Lin, Sue J. & Lu, I.J. & Lewis, Charles, 2007. "Grey relation performance correlations among economics, energy use and carbon dioxide emission in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1948-1955, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:36:y:2008:i:7:p:2556-2561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.