Drilling speed—the relevance of experience
Drilling expenses have increased sharply in recent years. The productivity of drilling operations – in terms of meters drilled per day – significantly influences exploration costs. Hence it is important to understand the factors that determine drilling productivity. In this study we analyze the effect of different types of experience or learning on offshore drilling productivity. The econometric analysis employs a large data set on exploration wells from the Norwegian Continental Shelf, covering most of its 45year drilling history. Many other industries have a steep learning curve. A central question here is if learning effects also contribute to increased productivity in petroleum exploration drilling. Furthermore, to what extent do diseconomies associated with reservoir depletion effects and limited acreage counteract learning effects on productivity?
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stoker, Thomas M. & Berndt, Ernst R. & Denny Ellerman, A. & Schennach, Susanne M., 2005. "Panel data analysis of U.S. coal productivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 131-164, August.
- Richard L. Farnsworth & Richard B. Norgaard, 1976. ""Technical Change and Petroleum Drilling Costs": Comment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(1), pages 103-108.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Toft, Anders & Agnar Dragvik, Kjell, 2006. "Design of drilling contracts--Economic incentives and safety issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2324-2329, October.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Mohn, Klaus & Osmundsen, Petter, 2008. "Exploration economics in a regulated petroleum province: The case of the Norwegian Continental Shelf," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 303-320, March.
- Iledare, Omowumi O. & Pulsipher, Allan G., 2007. "Joint bidding restriction policy for selective E&P firms in the US Gulf of Mexico OCS: How persuasive is its effectiveness?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3126-3133, June.
- Petter Osmundsen, 1998. "Dynamic Taxation of Non-renewable Natural Resources Under Asymmetric Information About Reserves," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 933-951, November.
- Kaiser, Mark J., 2009. "Modeling the time and cost to drill an offshore well," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1097-1112.
- Osmundsen, Petter & Sørenes, Terje & Toft, Anders, 2008. "Drilling contracts and incentives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 3128-3134, August.
- Alexander Kemp & Sola Kasim, 2006. "A Regional Model Of Oil And Gas Exploration In The Ukcs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(2), pages 198-221, May.
- Ryan Kellogg, 2011.
"Learning by Drilling: Interfirm Learning and Relationship Persistence in the Texas Oilpatch,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(4), pages 1961-2004.
- Ryan Kellogg, 2009. "Learning by Drilling: Inter-Firm Learning and Relationship Persistence in the Texas Oilpatch," NBER Working Papers 15060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Natarajan Balasubramanian & Marvin Lieberman, 2006. "Industry Learning Environments and the Heterogeneity of Firm Performance," Working Papers 06-29, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Klaus Mohn, 2008. "Efforts and Efficiency in Oil Exploration: A Vector Error-Correction Approach," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 53-78.
- Asafu-Adjaye, J. & Mahadevan, R., 2003. "How cost efficient are Australia's mining industries?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 315-329, July.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Opaluch, James J. & Jin, Di & Grigalunas, Thomas A., 2006. "Stochastic frontier analysis of total factor productivity in the offshore oil and gas industry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 204-215, November.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Opaluch, James J. & Jin, Di & Grigalunas, Thomas A., 2005. "Technological change and petroleum exploration in the Gulf of Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 619-632, March.
- Xunpeng Shi & R. Grafton, 2010. "Efficiency impacts of the Chinese industrial transition: a quantitative evaluation of reforms in the coal industry," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Iledare, Omowumi O. & Pulsipher, Allan G., 1999. "Sources of change in petroleum drilling productivity in onshore Louisiana in the US, 1977-1994," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 261-271, June.