The market response of insider transferring trades and firm characteristics in Taiwan
This paper reports the announcement effects of insider transfer trades and relates these with firms' characteristics. Regulations in Taiwan specify that insiders give three days prior notice to the competent authority of stock transfers and this news can stimulate market participants' investment decisions. We find both the positive and negative abnormal returns exist following insider transfer trade announcements, especially for smaller firm. However, smaller firm sizes associate with larger magnitudes of negative abnormal returns. Furthermore, the connection between smaller firms and those with higher book-to-market ratios strengthens for larger negative abnormal returns.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakonishok, Josef & Lee, Inmoo, 2001. "Are Insider Trades Informative?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 79-111.
- Louis T. W. Cheng & T. Y. Leung, 2008. "Is there information content from insider trading activities preceding earnings and dividend announcements in Hong Kong?," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 48(3), pages 417-437.
- Cheuk, Man-Yin & Fan, Dennis K. & So, Raymond W., 2006. "Insider trading in Hong Kong: Some stylized facts," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 73-90, January.
- Adams, Renee B. & Santos, Joao A.C., 2006. "Identifying the effect of managerial control on firm performance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 55-85, April.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983.
"Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders,"
570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Ronald C. Anderson & David M. Reeb, 2003. "Founding-Family Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from the S&P 500," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1301-1327, 06.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & McConnell, John J., 1999.
"Does Insider Trading Really Move Stock Prices?,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(02), pages 191-209, June.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Truong, Cameron, 2010. "Post earnings announcement drift and the roles of drift-enhanced factors in New Zealand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 139-157, April.
- Gharghori, Philip & See, Quin & Veeraraghavan, Madhu, 2011. "Difference of opinion and the cross-section of equity returns: Australian evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 435-446, September.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri & Lins, Karl V., 2008. "Changes in insider ownership and changes in the market value of the firm," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 92-106, April.
- Cheung, William & Lam, Keith S.K. & Tam, Lewis H.K., 2012. "Blockholding and market reactions to equity offerings in China," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 459-482.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1995. "Equity ownership and the two faces of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-157, September.
- Chiang, Raymond & Venkatesh, P C, 1988. " Insider Holdings and Perceptions of Information Asymmetry: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1041-48, September.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F, 1974. "Special Information and Insider Trading," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 410-28, July.
- Lins, Karl V., 2003. "Equity Ownership and Firm Value in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 159-184, March.
- Black, Bernard, 2001. "The corporate governance behavior and market value of Russian firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 89-108, June.
- Finnerty, Joseph E, 1976. "Insiders and Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1141-48, September.
- Feng Gu & John Q. Li, 2012. "Insider Trading and Corporate Information Transparency," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 645-664, November.
- David Walsh, 1999. "Uncertain information release and informed trading," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 21-30.
- Byun, Hae-Young & Hwang, Lee-Seok & Lee, Woo-Jong, 2011. "How does ownership concentration exacerbate information asymmetry among equity investors?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 511-534, November.
- Clifford G. Holderness & Randall S. Kroszner & Dennis P. Sheehan, 1999. "Were the Good Old Days That Good? Changes in Managerial Stock Ownership Since the Great Depression," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 435-469, 04.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2008. "All That Glitters: The Effect of Attention and News on the Buying Behavior of Individual and Institutional Investors," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 785-818, April.
- Han, Ki C. & Suk, David Y., 1998. "The effect of ownership structure on firm performance: Additional evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 143-155.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Penman, Stephen H, 1982. "Insider Trading and the Dissemination of Firms' Forecast Information," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(4), pages 479-503, October.
- Webb, Gwendolyn P, 1999. "Evidence of Managerial Timing: The Case of Exchange Listings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(3), pages 247-63, Fall.
- Cheng Chee Mun, Eugene & Courtenay, Stephen M. & Rahman, Asheq R., 2011. "Effects of prior voluntary disclosure on earnings announcements in an environment with low information and regulation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 308-329, June.
- Min-Hsien Chiang & Long-Jainn Hwang & Yui-Chi Wu, 2004. "Insider Trading Performance in the Taiwan Stock Market," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(3), pages 239-256, December.
- Lee, Shih-Cheng & Lin, Chien-Ting & Chang, Pei-Ting, 2011. "An Ohlson valuation framework for valuing corporate governance: The case of Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 420-434, September.
- Henryk Gurgul & Paweł Majdosz, 2007. "The informational content of insider trading disclosures: empirical results for the Polish stock market," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-19, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:16:y:2013:i:c:p:131-144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.