Sector level cost of equity in African financial markets
This paper assesses the effectiveness of Liu (2006) metrics in measuring illiquidity within a multifactor CAPM pricing model. Costs of equity are estimated using this model for the major sectors within Africa's larger equity markets: Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria, Zambia, Botswana and South Africa. In all countries, the cost of equity is found to be highest in the financial sector and lowest in the blue chip stocks of Tunisia, Morocco, Namibia and South Africa. At an aggregate level, Nigeria and Zambia have the highest cost of capital.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pastor, Lubos & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2003.
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(3), pages 642-685, June.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, . "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CRSP working papers 531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Shum, Wai Cheong & Tang, Gordon Y.N., 2005. "Common risk factors in returns in Asian emerging stock markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 695-717, December.
- Andrei Shleifer & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Rafael La Porta, 2008.
"The Economic Consequences of Legal Origins,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(2), pages 285-332, June.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2007. "The Economic Consequences of Legal Origins," NBER Working Papers 13608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008. "The Economic Consequences of Legal Origins," Scholarly Articles 2962610, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Daniel, Kent & Titman, Sheridan, 1997.
" Evidence on the Characteristics of Cross Sectional Variation in Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Kent Daniel & Sheridan Titman, 1996. "Evidence on the Characteristics of Cross Sectional Variation in Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 5604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maureen O'Hara, 2003. "Presidential Address: Liquidity and Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1335-1354, 08.
- Liu, Weimin, 2006. "A liquidity-augmented capital asset pricing model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 631-671, December.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Samir Ghazouani, 2007. "Asset Pricing and Cost of Equity in the Tunisian Banking Sector: Panel Data Evidence," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 36(1), pages 89-113, 02.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Collins, Daryl & Abrahamson, Mark, 2006. "Measuring the cost of equity in African financial markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-81, March.
- Mishra, Dev R. & O'Brien, Thomas J., 2005. "Risk and ex ante cost of equity estimates of emerging market firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 107-120, June.
- Jenifer Piesse & Bruce Hearn, 2005. "Regional Integration Of Equity Markets In Sub-Saharan Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 73(1), pages 36-52, 03.
- Jenifer Piesse & Bruce Hearn, 2002. "Equity market integration versus segmentation in three dominant markets of the Southern African Customs Union: cointegration and causality tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1711-1722.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Martinez, Miguel A. & Nieto, Belen & Rubio, Gonzalo & Tapia, Mikel, 2005. "Asset pricing and systematic liquidity risk: An empirical investigation of the Spanish stock market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 81-103.
- Jefferis, Keith, 1995. "The Botswana share market and its role in financial and economic development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 663-678, April.
- Lavelle, Kathryn C., 2001. "Architecture of Equity Markets: The Abidjan Regional Bourse," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(03), pages 717-742, June.
- Lesmond, David A., 2005. "Liquidity of emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 411-452, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:10:y:2009:i:4:p:257-278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.