Time varying size and liquidity effects in South Asian equity markets: A study of blue-chip industry stocks
This paper contrasts the performance of the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) augmented by size and liquidity factors with its time varying coefficient counterpart, using a unique market universe compiled from constituent stocks of blue chip indices BSE-100 (India), KSE-30 (Pakistan), DSE-20 (Bangladesh) and Dow Jones Titans (Sri Lanka). The evidence suggests that substantial size and liquidity effects are present in all markets with the exception of Sri Lanka. Time varying liquidity beta profiles reveal that the financial sectors of all South Asian markets have been affected by the 2008 financial crisis with exception of Sri Lanka where the market is influenced by the prolonged civil war.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hearn, Bruce & Piesse, Jenifer, 2009. "Sector level cost of equity in African financial markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 257-278, December.
- Chakraborty, Indrani, 2010. "Capital structure in an emerging stock market: The case of India," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Grout, Paul A. & Zalewska, Anna, 2006. "The impact of regulation on market risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 149-184, April.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
- Martinez, Miguel A. & Nieto, Belen & Rubio, Gonzalo & Tapia, Mikel, 2005. "Asset pricing and systematic liquidity risk: An empirical investigation of the Spanish stock market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 81-103.
- Liu, Weimin, 2006. "A liquidity-augmented capital asset pricing model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 631-671, December.
- Lesmond, David A., 2005. "Liquidity of emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 411-452, August.
- Akhtaruddin, M., 2005. "Corporate mandatory disclosure practices in Bangladesh," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 399-422.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001.
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, . "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CRSP working papers 531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Manos, Ronny & Murinde, Victor & Green, Christopher J., 2007. "Leverage and business groups: Evidence from Indian firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 443-465.
- Ho, Ron Yiu-wah & Strange, Roger & Piesse, Jenifer, 2006. "On the conditional pricing effects of beta, size, and book-to-market equity in the Hong Kong market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 199-214, July.
- Shum, Wai Cheong & Tang, Gordon Y.N., 2005. "Common risk factors in returns in Asian emerging stock markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 695-717, December.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Athey, Michael J. & Laumas, Prem S., 1994. "Internal funds and corporate investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 287-303, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Perera, Priyal & Puri, Tribhuvan N., 1998. "Interdependence and dynamic linkages between stock markets of Sri Lanka and its trading partners," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 89-101, January.
- Maureen O'Hara, 2003. "Presidential Address: Liquidity and Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1335-1354, 08.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Karmakar, Madhusudan, 2010. "Information transmission between small and large stocks in the National Stock Exchange in India: An empirical study," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 110-120, February.
- Poshakwale, Sunil & Theobald, Michael, 2004. "Market capitalisation, cross-correlations, the lead/lag structure and microstructure effects in the Indian stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 385-400, October.
- Akiko Watanabe & Masahiro Watanabe, 2008. "Time-Varying Liquidity Risk and the Cross Section of Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2449-2486, November.
- Iqbal, Javed & Brooks, Robert, 2007. "Alternative beta risk estimators and asset pricing tests in emerging markets: The case of Pakistan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 75-93, February.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Pettengill, Glenn N. & Sundaram, Sridhar & Mathur, Ike, 1995. "The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 101-116, March.
- Dimson, E & Marsh, P R, 1983.
" The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 753-83, June.
- Elroy Dimson and Paul Marsh., 1981. "The Stability of UK Risk Measures and the Problem of Thin Trading," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 120, University of California at Berkeley.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Rashid Ameer, 2007. "Time-varying Cost of Equity Capital in Southeast Asian Countries," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 207-238, 06.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:19:y:2010:i:4:p:242-257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.