A decision support methodology to enhance the competitiveness of the Turkish automotive industry
Three levels of competitiveness affect the success of business enterprises in a globally competitive environment: the competitiveness of the company, the competitiveness of the industry in which the company operates and the competitiveness of the country where the business is located. This study analyses the competitiveness of the automotive industry in association with the national competitiveness perspective using a methodology based on Bayesian Causal Networks. First, we structure the competitiveness problem of the automotive industry through a synthesis of expert knowledge in the light of the World Economic Forum’s competitiveness indicators. Second, we model the relationships among the variables identified in the problem structuring stage and analyse these relationships using a Bayesian Causal Network. Third, we develop policy suggestions under various scenarios to enhance the national competitive advantages of the automotive industry. We present an analysis of the Turkish automotive industry as a case study. It is possible to generalise the policy suggestions developed for the case of Turkish automotive industry to the automotive industries in other developing countries where country and industry competitiveness levels are similar to those of Turkey.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tcha, MoonJoong & Kuriyama, Takashi, 2003. "Protection policy under economies of scale -- the welfare effects of tariffs on the Australian automotive industry," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 655-672, September.
- Simona, Gentile-Lüdecke & Axèle, Giroud, 2012. "Knowledge Transfer from TNCs and Upgrading of Domestic Firms: The Polish Automotive Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 796-807.
- Bottomley, Paul A. & Doyle, John R., 2013. "Comparing the validity of numerical judgements elicited by direct rating and point allocation: Insights from objectively verifiable perceptual tasks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(1), pages 148-157.
- Mingers, John & White, Leroy, 2010. "A review of the recent contribution of systems thinking to operational research and management science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1147-1161, December.
- Zanakis, Stelios H. & Becerra-Fernandez, Irma, 2005. "Competitiveness of nations: A knowledge discovery examination," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 185-211, October.
- Guan, Jian Cheng & Yam, Richard C.M. & Mok, Chiu Kam & Ma, Ning, 2006. "A study of the relationship between competitiveness and technological innovation capability based on DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 971-986, May.
- Edwards, Lawrence & Golub, Stephen S., 2004. "South Africa's International Cost Competitiveness and Exports in Manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1323-1339, August.
- Aktas, Emel & Ulengin, Fusun & Onsel Sahin, Sule, 2007. "A decision support system to improve the efficiency of resource allocation in healthcare management," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 130-146, June.
- Häger, David & Andersen, Lasse B., 2010. "A knowledge based approach to loss severity assessment in financial institutions using Bayesian networks and loss determinants," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1635-1644, December.
- B. Baesens & G. Verstraeten & D. Van Den Poel & M. Egmont-Petersen & P. Van Kenhove & J. Vanthienen, 2002.
"Bayesian Network Classifiers for Identifying the Slope of the Customer - Lifecycle of Long-Life Customers,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
02/154, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baesens, Bart & Verstraeten, Geert & Van den Poel, Dirk & Egmont-Petersen, Michael & Van Kenhove, Patrick & Vanthienen, Jan, 2004. "Bayesian network classifiers for identifying the slope of the customer lifecycle of long-life customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 508-523, July.
- Kao, Chiang & Wu, Wann-Yih & Hsieh, Wen-Jen & Wang, Tai-Yue & Lin, Chinho & Chen, Liang-Hsuan, 2008. "Measuring the national competitiveness of Southeast Asian countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 613-628, June.
- Anderson, Ronald D. & Vastag, Gyula, 2004. "Causal modeling alternatives in operations research: Overview and application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 92-109, July.
- Leslie Budd & Amer Hirmis, 2004. "Conceptual Framework for Regional Competitiveness," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1015-1028.
- Oral, Muhittin & Cinar, Unver & Chabchoub, Habib, 1999. "Linking industrial competitiveness and productivity at the firm level," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Seung Hee Choi & Bang Nam Jeon, 2011. "The impact of the macroeconomic environment on merger activity: evidence from US time-series data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 233-249.
- Ackermann, Fran, 2012. "Problem structuring methods ‘in the Dock’: Arguing the case for Soft OR," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(3), pages 652-658.
- Wu, Wei-Wen & Lan, Lawrence W. & Lee, Yu-Ting, 2012. "Exploring the critical pillars and causal relations within the NRI: An innovative approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 230-238.
- Lauria, Eitel J.M. & Duchessi, Peter J., 2007. "A methodology for developing Bayesian networks: An application to information technology (IT) implementation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 234-252, May.
- Justin Barnes & Mike Morris, 2008. "Staying alive in the global automotive industry: what can developing economies learn from South Africa about linking into global automotive value chains?," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 31-55.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Innovation and the competitiveness of industries: comparing the mainstream and the evolutionary approaches," MPRA Paper 27523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:234:y:2014:i:3:p:789-801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.