A review of the recent contribution of systems thinking to operational research and management science
The systems approach, or systems thinking, has been intimately connected with the development of OR and management science initially through the work of founders such as Churchman and Ackoff and latterly through innovations such as soft systems. In this paper we have undertaken a review of the contribution that systems thinking has been making more recently, especially to the practice of OR. Systems thinking is a discipline in its own right, with many theoretical and methodological developments, but it is also applicable to almost any problem area because of its generality, and so such a review must always be selective. We have looked at the literature from both a theoretical and an applications orientation. In the first part we consider the main systems theories and methodologies in terms of their recent developments and also their applications. This covers: the systems approach, complexity theory, cybernetics, system dynamics, soft OR and PSMs, critical systems and multimethodology. In the second part we review the main domains of application: strategy, information systems, organisations, production and operations, ecology and agriculture, and medicine and health. Our overall conclusion is that while systems may not be well established institutionally, in terms of academic departments, it is incredibly healthy in terms of the quantity and variety of its applications.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tavares, L. V., 2002. "A review of the contribution of Operational Research to Project Management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Mingers, John & Rosenhead, Jonathan, 2004. "Problem structuring methods in action," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 530-554, February.
- F. Maon & A. Lindgreen & V. Swaen, 2008. "Thinking of the organization as a system: the role of managerial perceptions in developing a corporate social responsibility strategic agenda," Post-Print hal-00787073, HAL.
- Plummer, Ryan & Armitage, Derek, 2007. "A resilience-based framework for evaluating adaptive co-management: Linking ecology, economics and society in a complex world," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 62-74, February.
- Jackson, Mike C., 2001. "Critical systems thinking and practice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(2), pages 233-244, January.
- Wilson, James M., 2003. "Gantt charts: A centenary appreciation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 430-437, September.
- Temel, Tugrul, 2005. "A systems approach to malaria control: an institutional perspective," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 161-180, February.
- Dyson, Robert G., 2004. "Strategic development and SWOT analysis at the University of Warwick," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 631-640, February.
- Marc Le Menestrel & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2002.
"Ethics outside, within or beyond OR models,"
Economics Working Papers
622, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2002.
- Sunil Chopra & William Lovejoy & Candace Yano, 2004. "Five Decades of Operations Management and the Prospects Ahead," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 8-14, January.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-31, March.
- Gerald Midgley & Martin Reynolds, 2004. "Systems|operational research and sustainable development: towards a new agenda," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 56-64.
- Voss, CA, 1984. "Production/operations management--A key discipline and area for research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 309-319.
- Ormerod, R. J., 1997. "The design of organisational intervention: Choosing the approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 415-435, August.
- Mitroff, Ian I. & Linstone, Harold A., 1993. "The unbounded mind: Breaking the chains of traditional business thinking," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 88-89.
- Schwartz, Mark S. & Carroll, Archie B., 2003. "Corporate Social Responsibility: A Three-Domain Approach," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 503-530, October.
- Ison, R. L. & Maiteny, P. T. & Carr, S., 1997. "Systems methodologies for sustainable natural resources research and development," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 257-272, October.
- Shann Turnbull, 2002. "The Science of Corporate Governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 261-277, October.
- Lane, David C. & Oliva, Rogelio, 1998. "The greater whole: Towards a synthesis of system dynamics and soft systems methodology," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 214-235, May.
- Kolisch, Rainer, 1999. "Resource allocation capabilities of commercial project management software packages," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 7938, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Ackoff, R. L., 1993. "Idealized design: Creative corporate visioning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 401-410, July.
- Wierzbicki, Andrzej P., 2007. "Modelling as a way of organising knowledge," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 610-635, January.
- Parkhurst, Justin Oliver & Penn-Kekana, Loveday & Blaauw, Duane & Balabanova, Dina & Danishevski, Kirill & Rahman, Syed Azizur & Onama, Virgil & Ssengooba, Freddie, 2005. "Health systems factors influencing maternal health services: a four-country comparison," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 127-138, August.
- C. West Churchman, 1963. "The X of X," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 351-357, April.
- Jacobs, F. Robert & Bendoly, Elliot, 2003. "Enterprise resource planning: Developments and directions for operations management research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 233-240, April.
- Lauwers, L. & Van Huylenbroeck, G. & Martens, L., 1998. "A systems approach to analyse the effects of Flemish manure policy on structural changes and cost abatement in pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 167-183, February.
- Midmore, Peter & Whittaker, Julie, 2000. "Economics for sustainable rural systems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 173-189, November.
- Mingers, John & Brocklesby, John, 1997. "Multimethodology: Towards a framework for mixing methodologies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 489-509, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:207:y:2010:i:3:p:1147-1161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.