Mean–variance–skewness efficient surfaces, Stein’s lemma and the multivariate extended skew-Student distribution
Recent advances in Stein’s lemma imply that under elliptically symmetric distributions all rational investors will select a portfolio which lies on Markowitz’ mean–variance efficient frontier. This paper describes extensions to Stein’s lemma for the case when a random vector has the multivariate extended skew-Student distribution. Under this distribution, rational investors will select a portfolio which lies on a single mean–variance–skewness efficient hyper-surface. The same hyper-surface arises under a broad class of models in which returns are defined by the convolution of a multivariate elliptically symmetric distribution and a multivariate distribution of non-negative random variables. Efficient portfolios on the efficient surface may be computed using quadratic programming.
Volume (Year): 234 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sun, Qian & Yan, Yuxing, 2003. "Skewness persistence with optimal portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1111-1121, June.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007.
"Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach,"
INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens & O. Jokung, 2007. "Mean-variance-skewness portfolio performance gauging: A general shortage function and dual approach," Post-Print hal-00211572, HAL.
- K. Kerstens, 2005. "Mean-Variance Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging:A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Post-Print hal-00288765, HAL.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Matmoura, Yassine & Penev, Spiridon, 2013. "Multistage optimization of option portfolio using higher order coherent risk measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 190-198.
- Li, Xiang & Qin, Zhongfeng & Kar, Samarjit, 2010. "Mean-variance-skewness model for portfolio selection with fuzzy returns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 239-247, April.
- Reinaldo B. Arellano-Valle & Marc G. Genton, 2010. "Multivariate extended skew-t distributions and related families," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 201-234.
- Eric Jondeau & Michael Rockinger, 2006. "Optimal Portfolio Allocation under Higher Moments," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(1), pages 29-55.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 2004. "Optimal Portfolio Allocation Under Higher Moments," Working papers 108, Banque de France.
- J. G. Kallberg & W. T. Ziemba, 1983. "Comparison of Alternative Utility Functions in Portfolio Selection Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(11), pages 1257-1276, November.
- Landsman, Zinoviy, 2006. "On the generalization of Stein's Lemma for elliptical class of distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(10), pages 1012-1016, May.
- Yusif Simaan, 1993. "Portfolio Selection and Asset Pricing---Three-Parameter Framework," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(5), pages 568-577, May.
- Liu, Jun S., 1994. "Siegel's formula via Stein's identities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 247-251, October.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Marc G. Genton, 2008. "Robust Likelihood Methods Based on the Skew-"t" and Related Distributions," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 76(1), pages 106-129, April.
- Reinaldo B. Arellano-Valle & Adelchi Azzalini, 2006. "On the Unification of Families of Skew-normal Distributions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(3), pages 561-574.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1970. "The Fundamental Approximation Theorem of Portfolio Analysis in terms of Means, Variances and Higher Moments," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(4), pages 537-542.
- Campbell Harvey & John Liechty & Merrill Liechty & Peter Muller, 2010. "Portfolio selection with higher moments," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 469-485.
- de Athayde, Gustavo M. & Flores, Renato Jr., 2004. "Finding a maximum skewness portfolio--a general solution to three-moments portfolio choice," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1335-1352, April.
- Arditti, Fred D & Levy, Haim, 1975. "Portfolio Efficiency Analysis in Three Moments: The Multiperiod Case," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 797-809, June.
- Landsman, Zinoviy & Neslehová, Johanna, 2008. "Stein's Lemma for elliptical random vectors," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(5), pages 912-927, May.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
- Kim, Hyoung-Moon & Genton, Marc G., 2011. "Characteristic functions of scale mixtures of multivariate skew-normal distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(7), pages 1105-1117, August.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Goh, Joel Weiqiang & Lim, Kian Guan & Sim, Melvyn & Zhang, Weina, 2012. "Portfolio value-at-risk optimization for asymmetrically distributed asset returns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 397-406.
- Horrace, William C., 2005. "Some results on the multivariate truncated normal distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 209-221, May.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- C. Adcock, 2010. "Asset pricing and portfolio selection based on the multivariate extended skew-Student-t distribution," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 176(1), pages 221-234, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:234:y:2014:i:2:p:392-401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.