The Durbin-Watson ratio under infinite-variance errors
This paper studies the properties of the von Neumann ratio for time series with infinite variance. The asymptotic theory is developed using recent results on the weak convergence of partial sums of time series with infinite variance to stable processes and of sample serial correlations to functions of stable variables. Our asymptotics cover the null of iid variates and general moving average (MA) alternatives. Regression residuals are also considered. In the static regression model the Durbin-Watson statistic has the same limit distribution as the von Neumann ratio under general conditions. However, the dynamic models, the results are more complex and more interesting. When the regressors have thicker tail probabilities than the errors we find that the Durbin-Watson and von Neumann ration asymptotics are the same.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1986. "On the Performance of Least Squares in Linear Regression with Undefined Error Means," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 798, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bartels, Robert & Goodhew, John, 1981. "The Robustness of the Durbin-Watson Test," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(1), pages 136-39, February.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou, 1987. "Bimodal t-Ratios," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 842, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Davis, Richard & Resnick, Sidney, 1985. "More limit theory for the sample correlation function of moving averages," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 257-279, September.
- King, Maxwell L. & Wu, Ping X., 1991. "Small-disturbance asymptotics and the Durbin-Watson and related tests in the dynamic regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 145-152, January.
- King, Maxwell L. & Evans, Merran A., 1988. "Locally Optimal Properties of the Durbin-Watson Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 509-516, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Kariya, Takeaki, 1988. "The Class of Models for which the Durbin-Watson Test is Locally Optimal," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(1), pages 167-75, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:47:y:1991:i:1:p:85-114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.