Housing and relative risk aversion
This paper derives closed-form and numerical solutions for relative risk aversion in a standard consumption-based model enriched with housing. The presence of housing enables the household to hedge against unexpected shocks and may decrease relative risk aversion. In addition, housing may generate state-dependent, time-varying risk aversion.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marjorie Flavin & Shinobu Nakagawa, 2008. "A Model of Housing in the Presence of Adjustment Costs: A Structural Interpretation of Habit Persistence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 474-95, March.
- Sanford J Grossman & Guy Laroque, 2003.
"Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
618897000000000803, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Laroque, Guy, 1990. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 25-51, January.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Guy Laroque, 1987. "Asset Pricing and Optimal Portfolio Choice in the Presence of Illiquid Durable Consumption Goods," NBER Working Papers 2369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel, 2008. "Do Wealth Fluctuations Generate Time-Varying Risk Aversion? Micro-evidence on Individuals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 713-36, June.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005.
"House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002. "House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Silos, Pedro, 2007.
"Housing, portfolio choice and the macroeconomy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2774-2801, August.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2012. "Risk Aversion and the Labor Margin in Dynamic Equilibrium Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1663-91, June.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Marina Pavan, 2011.
"Housing and Debt over the Life Cycle and over the Business Cycle,"
2011/04, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Iacoviello, Matteo & Pavan, Marina, 2013. "Housing and debt over the life cycle and over the business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 221-238.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Marina Pavan, 2009. "Housing and Debt Over the Life Cycle and Over the Business Cycle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 723, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 19 Sep 2011.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Marina Pavan, 2009. "Housing and debt over the life cycle and over the business cycle," Working Papers 09-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Marina Pavan, 2011. "Housing and debt over the life cycle and over the business cycle," International Finance Discussion Papers 1032, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2013.
"Time Varying Risk Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
19284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2013. "Time Varying Risk Aversion," EIEF Working Papers Series 1322, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2013.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2013. "Time Varying Risk Aversion," CEPR Discussion Papers 9589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Margarita Rubio, 2009.
"Fixed and variable-rate mortgages, business cycles and monetary policy,"
0903, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Margarita Rubio, 2011. "Fixed‐ and Variable‐Rate Mortgages, Business Cycles, and Monetary Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(4), pages 657-688, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:123:y:2014:i:1:p:23-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.