Testing for normality in linear regression models using regression and scale equivariant estimators
In this paper we provide a general solution to the problem of controlling the probability of a type I error in normality tests for the disturbances in linear regressions when using robust-regression residuals. We show that many classes of well-known robust regression estimators belong to the class of regression and scale equivariant estimators. It is these equivariance properties that are used to reduce the nuisance parameter space under the null, from which we develop Monte Carlo and Maximized Monte Carlo tests for the null of disturbance normality. Finally, we illustrate in a simulation experiment the potential power gains from using robust-regression residuals in testing this null hypothesis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Onder, A. Ozlem & Zaman, Asad, 2005. "Robust tests for normality of errors in regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 63-68, January.
- Breusch, Trevor S., 1980. "Useful invariance results for generalized regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-340, August.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005.
"Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics,"
Cahiers de recherche
03-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 2006. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: A general approach to finite-sample inference and nonstandard asymptotics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 443-477, August.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 2005. "Monte Carlo tests with nuisance parameters: a general approach to finite-sample inference and non-standard asymptotics," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-02, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 2005. "Monte Carlo Tests with Nuisance Parameters: A General Approach to Finite-Sample Inference and Nonstandard Asymptotics," Cahiers de recherche 2005-03, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cizek, P., 2004.
"General Trimmed Estimation : Robust Approach to Nonlinear and Limited Dependent Variable Models,"
2004-130, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2008. "General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach To Nonlinear And Limited Dependent Variable Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(06), pages 1500-1529, December.
- Stinchcombe, Maxwell B & White, Halbert, 1992. "Some Measurability Results for Extrema of Random Functions over Random Sets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 495-514, July.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:122:y:2014:i:2:p:192-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.