The least trimmed quantile regression
The linear quantile regression estimator is very popular and widely used. It is also well known that this estimator can be very sensitive to outliers in the explanatory variables. In order to overcome this disadvantage, the usage of the least trimmed quantile regression estimator is proposed to estimate the unknown parameters in a robust way. As a prominent measure of robustness, the breakdown point of this estimator is characterized and its consistency is proved. The performance of this approach in comparison with the classical one is illustrated by an example and simulation studies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hubert, Mia & Rousseeuw, Peter J., 1998. "The Catline for Deep Regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 270-296, August.
- Giloni, Avi & Simonoff, Jeffrey S. & Sengupta, Bhaskar, 2006. "Robust weighted LAD regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3124-3140, July.
- Neykov, N.M. & Filzmoser, P. & Neytchev, P.N., 2012. "Robust joint modeling of mean and dispersion through trimming," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 34-48, January.
- He, Xuming, et al, 1990. "Tail Behavior of Regression Estimators and Their Breakdown Points," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1195-1214, September.
- Čížek, Pavel, 2008.
"General Trimmed Estimation: Robust Approach To Nonlinear And Limited Dependent Variable Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(06), pages 1500-1529, December.
- Cizek, P., 2004. "General Trimmed Estimation : Robust Approach to Nonlinear and Limited Dependent Variable Models," Discussion Paper 2004-130, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Vandev, D., 1993. "A note on the breakdown point of the least median of squares and least trimmed squares estimators," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 117-119, January.
- Hawkins, Douglas M. & Olive, David, 1999. "Applications and algorithms for least trimmed sum of absolute deviations regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 119-134, December.
- Jurecková, Jana, 2010. "Finite-sample distribution of regression quantiles," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(23-24), pages 1940-1946, December.
- Cízek, Pavel, 2011. "Semiparametrically weighted robust estimation of regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 774-788, January.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, June.
- Tableman, Mara, 1994. "The influence functions for the least trimmed squares and the least trimmed absolute deviations estimators," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 329-337, March.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Tableman, Mara, 1994. "The asymptotics of the least trimmed absolute deviations (LTAD) estimator," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 387-398, April.
- Van Aelst, Stefan & Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Hubert, Mia & Struyf, Anja, 2002. "The Deepest Regression Method," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 138-166, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:6:p:1757-1770. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.