A dynamic factor model with time-varying loadings for euro area bond markets during the debt crisis
The debt crisis in the euro area led to obvious changes in the structure of euro area bond markets. To model the process of disintegration that has taken place as a result of this crisis, this analysis uses a dynamic factor model with time-varying loadings and two factors. While some core countries load rather stably on one factor, this factor loses its impact on many peripheral countries over time. At least for some periods, countries that are affected by the debt crisis load highly on a second factor, especially Spain and Italy. Ireland, Portugal, and Greece, which all load highly on the second factor for some periods, show signs of decoupling at the current edge.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Aßmann & Jens Boysen-Hogrefe, 2012.
"Determinants of government bond spreads in the euro area: in good times as in bad,"
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 341-356, August.
- Christian Aßmann & Jens Hogrefe, 2009. "Determinants of government bond spreads in the Euro area – in good times as in bad," Kiel Working Papers 1548, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Erdogan, Burcu, 2012.
"Sovereign bond yield spreads: A time-varying coefficient approach,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 639-656.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Erdogan, Burcu, 2010. "Sovereign bond yield spreads: a time-varying coefficient approach," Discussion Papers 289, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Burcu Erdogan, 2010. "Sovereign Bond Yield Spreads: A Time-Varying Coefficient Approach," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1078, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Mardi Dungey & Vance L Martin & Adrian R Pagan, 2000. "A multivariate latent factor decomposition of international bond yield spreads," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 697-715.
- Marco Del Negro & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "Dynamic factor models with time-varying parameters: measuring changes in international business cycles," Staff Reports 326, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Carvalho, Carlos M. & Chang, Jeffrey & Lucas, Joseph E. & Nevins, Joseph R. & Wang, Quanli & West, Mike, 2008. "High-Dimensional Sparse Factor Modeling: Applications in Gene Expression Genomics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1438-1456.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:118:y:2013:i:1:p:50-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.