An evaluation of private forecasts of interest rate targets in Brazil
This study shows that the private sector accurately predicts short-term interest rate targets set by the Brazilian monetary authorities. With increased transparency under inflation targeting, such evidence suggests that the public perceives the central bank as credible.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan Timmermann & Graham Elliott & Ivana Komunjer, 2004.
"Biases in Macroeconomic Forecasts: Irrationality or Asymmetric Loss?,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
601, Econometric Society.
- Graham Elliott & Ivana Komunjer & Allan Timmermann, 2008. "Biases in Macroeconomic Forecasts: Irrationality or Asymmetric Loss?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(1), pages 122-157, 03.
- Graham Elliott & Ivana Komunjer & Allan Timmermann, 2005. "Biases In Macroeconomic Forecasts: Irrationality Or Asymmetric Loss?," CAMA Working Papers 2005-14, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Goncalves, Carlos Eduardo S. & Salles, Joao M., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: What do the data say?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 312-318, February.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2011.
"Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: A Survey,"
Working Paper Series
rwp11-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- MINELLA André & DE FREITAS Paulo Springer & GOLDFAJN Ilan & KFOURY MUINHOS Marcelo, .
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility under Exchange Rate Volatility,"
- Minella, Andre & de Freitas, Paulo Springer & Goldfajn, Ilan & Muinhos, Marcelo Kfoury, 2003. "Inflation targeting in Brazil: constructing credibility under exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1015-1040, December.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility under Exchange Rate Volatility," Working Papers Series 77, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- André Minella & Paulo Springer de Freitas & Ilan Goldfajn & Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Constructing Credibility Under Exchange Rate Volatility," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] b26, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Lyziak, Tomasz & Mackiewicz, Joanna & Stanislawska, Ewa, 2007. "Central bank transparency and credibility: The case of Poland, 1998-2004," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-87, March.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2000.
"Central-Bank Credibility: Why Do We Care? How Do We Build It?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1421-1431, December.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1999. "Central Bank Credibility: Why Do We Care? How Do We Build It?," NBER Working Papers 7161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Laxton & Paolo Pesenti, 2003.
"Monetary Rules for Small, Open, Emerging Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
9568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laxton, Douglas & Pesenti, Paolo, 2003. "Monetary rules for small, open, emerging economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1109-1146, July.
- Brito, Ricardo D. & Bystedt, Brianne, 2010.
"Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 198-210, March.
- Bystedt, Brianne & Brito, Ricardo D., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence," Insper Working Papers wpe_125, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Tabak, Benjamin Miranda, 2004. "A note on the effects of monetary policy surprises on the Brazilian term structure of interest rates," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-287, April.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Inflation forecasts and monetary policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 653-686.
- Graham Elliott & Allan Timmermann & Ivana Komunjer, 2005. "Estimation and Testing of Forecast Rationality under Flexible Loss," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1107-1125.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2000.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging-Market Countries,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 105-109, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:115:y:2012:i:3:p:352-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.