Quality certification standards in competitive markets: When consumers and producers (dis)agree
A quality certification standard in a competitive setting can improve welfare but may affect consumers and producers differently. In a competitive model with quality preferences of the vertical product differentiation type, we find that producers prefer a higher (lower) quality standard than consumers if individual demand functions are log-convex (log-concave).
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rabah AMIR & Isabelle MARET & Michael TROEGE, 2004.
"On Taxation Pass-Through for a Monopoly Firm,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 75-76, pages 155-172.
- Rabah Amir & Isabelle Maret & Michael Troge, 2004. "On Taxation Pass-Through for a Monopoly Firm," Working Papers of BETA 2004-10, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- AMIR, Rabah & TROGE, Michael & MARET, Isabelle, 2004. "On taxation pass-through for a monopoly firm," CORE Discussion Papers 2004039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Champsaur, Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1989.
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 533-57, May.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Grading, Minimum Quality Standards, and the Labeling of Genetically Modified Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), August.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2006.
"Grading, Minimum Quality Standards, and the Labeling of Genetically Modified Products,"
Staff General Research Papers
12553, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Harvey Lapan & GianCarlo Moschini, 2007. "Grading, Minimum Quality Standards, and the Labeling of Genetically Modified Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 769-783.
- Tim Baldenius & Stefan Reichelstein, 2000. "Comparative statics of monopoly pricing," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 465-469.
- Uri Ronnen, 1991. "Minimum Quality Standards, Fixed Costs, and Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 490-504, Winter.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1979. "Quacks, Lemons, and Licensing: A Theory of Minimum Quality Standards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1328-46, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:104:y:2009:i:3:p:144-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.