Welfare implications of Calvo vs. Rotemberg-pricing assumptions
This paper compares the welfare implications of two widely used pricing assumptions in the New-Keynesian literature: Calvo-pricing vs. Rotemberg-pricing. We show that despite the strong similarities between the two assumptions to a first order of approximation, in general they might entail different welfare costs at higher order of approximation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mendicino, Caterina, 2007.
"Credit market and macroeconomic volatility,"
Working Paper Series
0743, European Central Bank.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2009.
"Explaining Monetary Policy in Press Conferences,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(2), pages 42-84, June.
- Wolswijk, Guido, 2007. "Short- and long-run tax elasticities: the case of the Netherlands," Working Paper Series 0763, European Central Bank.
- Barbara Roffia & Andrea Zaghini, 2007.
"Excess Money Growth and Inflation Dynamics,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 241-280, December.
- Roffia, Barbara & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007. "Excess money growth and inflation dynamics," Working Paper Series 0749, European Central Bank.
- Barbara Roffia & Andrea Zaghini, 2008. "Excess money growth and inflation dynamics," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 657, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Boissay, Frédéric & Gropp, Reint, 2007.
"Trade credit defaults and liquidity provision by firms,"
Working Paper Series
0753, European Central Bank.
- Frederic Boissay & Reint Gropp, 2007. "Trade Credit Defaults and Liquidity Provision by Firms," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 179, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Jan Bruha & Jiri Podpiera, 2006. "Transition Economy Convergence in a Two-Country Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 154, Society for Computational Economics.
- Philipp Engler & Michael Fidora & Christian Thimann, 2009.
"External Imbalances and the US Current Account: How Supply-Side Changes Affect an Exchange Rate Adjustment ,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 927-941, November.
- Engler, Philipp & Fidora, Michael & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "External imbalances and the US current account: how supply-side changes affect an exchange rate adjustment," Working Paper Series 0761, European Central Bank.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 198-230, February.
- Martin Uribe & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 2001. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 9220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," Departmental Working Papers 200105, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 2942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Ana Lamo & Javier J. Pérez & Ludger Schuknecht, 2013.
"The cyclicality of consumption, wages and employment of the public sector in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(12), pages 1551-1569, April.
- Javier J. Perez & Ana Lamo & Ludger Schuknecht, . "The Cyclicality of Consumption, Wages and Employment of the Public Sector in the Euro Area," EcoMod2007 23900062, EcoMod.
- Lamo, Ana & Pérez, Javier J. & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2007. "The cyclicality of consumption, wages and employment of the public sector in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0757, European Central Bank.
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007.
"Maintaining low inflation: Money, interest rates, and policy stance,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1441-1471, July.
- Samuel Reynard, 2007. "Maintaining Low Inflation: Money, Interest Rates, and Policy Stance," Working Papers 2007-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007. "Maintaining low inflation: money, interest rates, and policy stance," Working Paper Series 0756, European Central Bank.
- Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph & Pierse, Richard, 2008.
"Linear-quadratic approximation, external habit and targeting rules,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 3315-3349, October.
- Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph G. & Pierse, Richard, 2007. "Linear-quadratic approximation, external habit and targeting rules," Working Paper Series 0759, European Central Bank.
- Nistico, Salvatore, 2007. "The welfare loss from unstable inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 51-57, July.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 517-531.
- Juillard, Michel, 1996. "Dynare : a program for the resolution and simulation of dynamic models with forward variables through the use of a relaxation algorithm," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9602, CEPREMAP.
- Jalava, Jukka & Kavonius, Ilja Kristian, 2007. "Durable goods and their effect on household saving ratios in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0755, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:100:y:2008:i:2:p:275-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.