Durable goods, access to services and the derivation of an asset index: Comparing two methodologies and three countries
This paper compares two approaches to the derivation of asset indices in order to derive measures of multidimensional poverty. The first one assumes that there exists an order of acquisition of durable goods and access to services. The second one applies correspondence analysis to the same data and uses the first factor to evaluate the extent of poverty. While these two methodologies provide a ranking of the households according to their long-run economic status, they correspond to two different ways of using and summarizing the information provided by the observed indicators of the households' living conditions. The empirical investigation covers three countries, Egypt, Morocco and Turkey, and is based on the Demographic and Health Surveys. The application of these two methodologies, separately for the whole sample and for urban and rural areas, gives interesting results that show important differences within and between countries. These results seem to indicate that the order of acquisition approach and correspondence analysis provide complementary and useful information on the extent of the deprivation experienced by households in these three countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques Silber, 2007.
"Measuring Poverty: Taking a Multidimensional Perspective,"
- Jacques Silber, 2007. "Measuring poverty: taking a multidimensional perspective," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 182(3), pages 29-74, September.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Mark Montgomery & Paul Hewett, 2005.
"Urban poverty and health in developing countries: Household and neighborhood Effects,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 42(3), pages 397-425, August.
- Mark R. Montgomery & Paul C. Hewett, 2004. "Urban Poverty and Health in Developing Countries: Household and Neighborhood Effects," Department of Economics Working Papers 04-01, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:case_paxson_orphansafrica is not listed on IDEAS
- World Bank, 2000. "Turkey : Economic Reforms, Living Standards and Social Welfare Study," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15138, The World Bank.
- Paroush, Jacob, 1973. "Efficient Purchasing Behavior and Order Relations in Consumption," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 91-112.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Peluso, Eugenio, 2012.
"A Counting Approach for Measuring Multidimensional Deprivation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6589, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rolf Aaberge & Eugenio Peluso, 2012. "A counting approach for measuring multidimensional deprivation," Discussion Papers 700, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rolf Aaberge & Eugenio Peluso, 2011. "A Counting Approach for Measuring Multidimensional Deprivation," Working Papers 07/2011, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Adam Wagstaff & Naoko Watanabe, 2003. "What difference does the choice of SES make in health inequality measurement?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(10), pages 885-890.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- DECANCQ, Koen & LUGO, Maria Ana, .
"Weights in multidimensional indices of wellbeing: an overview,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013. "Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Working Papers Department of Economics ces10.06, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Sami Bibi, 2004. "Comparing Multidimensional Poverty between Egypt and Tunisia," Cahiers de recherche 0416, CIRPEE.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- van de Walle, Dominique, 2005. "Do services and transfers reach Morocco's poor? Evidence from poverty and spending maps," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3478, The World Bank.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. "The Welfare Basis of Real Income Comparisons: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 1-45, March.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858, May.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2000. "Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2123-2155, December.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2011. "An ordinal approach to the study of intergenerational opportunities for standard of living: the case of Latin America," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 579-604, December.
- Sami Bibi & Abdel Rahmen El Lahga, 2008. "Comparaisons ordinales robustes de la pauvreté multidimensionnelle : Afrique du Sud et Égypte," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 16(1), pages 5-36.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:35:y:2013:i:c:p:881-891. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.