Measuring Poverty: Taking a Multidimensional Perspective
This paper attempts to review the main problems that have to be faced when taking a multidimensional approach to poverty and to give a survey of the solutions that have hitherto been proposed to solve these issues. It starts by a quick summary of the cardinal approach to uni-dimensional poverty analysis. It then presents the cardinal approach to ultidimensional poverty measurement. An attempt is also made to describe the ordinal approach to poverty measurement and a short section at the end describes some aspects of a more qualitative approach to poverty measurement.
Other versions of this item:
- Jacques Silber, 2007. "Measuring poverty: taking a multidimensional perspective," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 182(3), pages 29-74, September.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- Vivien Kana Zeumo & Blaise Some & Alexis Tsoukiàs, 2011. "A survey on Multidimensional Poverty Measurement: a Decision Aiding Perspective," Working Papers hal-00875525, HAL.
- Cielito F. Habito, 2010. "Patterns of Inclusive Growth in Developing Asia: Insights from an Enhanced Growth-Poverty Elasticity Analysis," Working Papers id:3076, eSocialSciences.
- Rosa Bernardini Papalia & Pinuccia Calia & Carlo Filippucci, 2015. "Information Theoretic Competitiveness Composite Indicator at Micro Level," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 123(2), pages 349-370, September.
- Álvarez-Verdejo, Encarnación & Estudillo-Martínez, María Dolores & Castillo-Gutiérrez, Sonia, 2012. "Estimación de la función de distribución y cuantiles en la población de pobres/Estimation of the Distribution Function and Quantiles for the Population of Poor," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1063(26.)-1, Diciembre.
- Bérenger, Valérie & Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 2013.
"Durable goods, access to services and the derivation of an asset index: Comparing two methodologies and three countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 881-891.
- Valérie Berenger & Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2013. "Durable goods, access to services and the derivation of an asset index: Comparing two methodologies and three countries," Post-Print halshs-00935833, HAL.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & Jesús Pérez‐Mayo, 2011. "Income Poverty And Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons From Cross‐Regional Analysis," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(1), pages 40-60, 03.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & JesÃºs PÃ©rez-Mayo, 2009. "Income Poverty and Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons from Cross-Regional Analysis," Working Papers 106, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Francisco Azpitarte, 2014. "Measuring Poverty using both Income and Wealth: A Cross-Country Comparison between the U.S. and Spain," LWS Working papers 18, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Núñez Velázquez, José Javier, 2009. "Estado actual y nuevas aproximaciones a la medición de la pobreza/Current Status and New Approaches to the Measurement of Poverty," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 325-346, Agosto.
- repec:spr:soinre:v:132:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s11205-016-1228-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Francisco Azpitarte, 2010. "Measuring poverty using both income and wealth: A cross-country comparison between the U.S. and Spain," Working Papers 153, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2013. "Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: new evidence from the Gallup World Poll," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 11(2), pages 195-214, June.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2010. "Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean New evidence from the Gallup World Poll," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0100, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Silber, Jacques, 2008. "Introduction: Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Conceptual Issues, Empirical Illustrations and Policy Implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 987-991, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2007-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed