Measuring poverty: taking a multidimensional perspective
This paper reviews the main problems that have to be faced when taking a multidimensional approach to poverty and gives a survey of the solutions that have hitherto been proposed to solve these problems. The paper starts with a quick summary of the cardinal approach to uni-dimensional poverty analysis. After that, it reviews the cardinal ordinal approaches to multidimensional poverty measurement. It is also stressed that there is a qualitative approach to poverty measurement. Key words: JEL classification:
Volume (Year): 182 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Jacques Silber, 2007. "Measuring Poverty: Taking a Multidimensional Perspective," Working Papers 2007-14, FEDEA.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- repec:spr:soinre:v:132:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s11205-016-1228-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2013.
"Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean: new evidence from the Gallup World Poll,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 11(2), pages 195-214, June.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2010. "Multidimensional poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean New evidence from the Gallup World Poll," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0100, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Guio, Anne-Catherine & Fusco, Alessio & Marlier, Eric, 2009. "A European Union Approach to Material Deprivation using EU-SILC and Eurobarometer data," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-19, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Vivien Kana Zeumo & Blaise Some & Alexis Tsoukiàs, 2011. "A survey on Multidimensional Poverty Measurement: a Decision Aiding Perspective," Working Papers hal-00875525, HAL.
- Rosa Bernardini Papalia & Pinuccia Calia & Carlo Filippucci, 2015. "Information Theoretic Competitiveness Composite Indicator at Micro Level," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 123(2), pages 349-370, September.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Sergio Olivieri, 2008. "Income, Deprivation, and Perceptions in Latin America and the Caribbean: New Evidence from the Gallup World Poll," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3248, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Álvarez-Verdejo, Encarnación & Estudillo-Martínez, María Dolores & Castillo-Gutiérrez, Sonia, 2012. "Estimación de la función de distribución y cuantiles en la población de pobres/Estimation of the Distribution Function and Quantiles for the Population of Poor," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1063(26.)-1, Diciembre.
- Bérenger, Valérie & Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 2013. "Durable goods, access to services and the derivation of an asset index: Comparing two methodologies and three countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 881-891.
- Valérie Berenger & Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2013. "Durable goods, access to services and the derivation of an asset index: Comparing two methodologies and three countries," Post-Print halshs-00935833, HAL.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & Jesús Pérez‐Mayo, 2011. "Income Poverty And Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons From Cross‐Regional Analysis," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(1), pages 40-60, 03.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & JesÃºs PÃ©rez-Mayo, 2009. "Income Poverty and Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons from Cross-Regional Analysis," Working Papers 106, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Francisco Azpitarte, 2014. "Measuring Poverty using both Income and Wealth: A Cross-Country Comparison between the U.S. and Spain," LWS Working papers 18, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Núñez Velázquez, José Javier, 2009. "Estado actual y nuevas aproximaciones a la medición de la pobreza/Current Status and New Approaches to the Measurement of Poverty," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 325-346, Agosto.
- Cielito F. Habito, 2010. "Patterns of Inclusive Growth in Developing Asia: Insights from an Enhanced Growth-Poverty Elasticity Analysis," Working Papers id:3076, eSocialSciences.
- Francisco Azpitarte, 2010. "Measuring poverty using both income and wealth: A cross-country comparison between the U.S. and Spain," Working Papers 153, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Silber, Jacques, 2008. "Introduction: Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Conceptual Issues, Empirical Illustrations and Policy Implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 987-991, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:journl:y:2007:v:182:i:3:p:29-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed