Effects of terms of trade on growth performance of India
This study investigates the effect of terms of trade on economic growth of India by using the annual time series data from the period of 1980 to 2010. The ARDL bound testing cointegration confirms the significant positive relationship between terms of trade and economic growth in the long run as well as in the short run. Results of Granger causality, Toda and Yamamoto Modified Wald causality and variance decomposition tests confirm the bidirectional causal relationship between terms of trade and economic growth in India. Rolling window estimation indicates that the terms of trade is having positive long-run coefficients throughout the sample period. Results of CUSUM and CUSUM of square suggest that there is no structural instability in the residuals of equation of economic growth in short run. It is suggested that beneficial terms of trade is better for economic growth in India. At this stage we can set the direction of future research that the relationship between commodity groupwise and countrywise bilateral terms of trade with economic growth should be analyzed. These results would be helpful for policy makers of India to frame growth enhancing countrywise as well as commodity-wise trade policies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syed tehseen, jawaid & Abdul, waheed, 2011.
"Effects of Terms of Trade and its Volatility on Economic Growth: A Cross Country Empirical Investigation,"
32694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syed Jawaid & Abdul Waheed, 2011. "Effects of Terms of Trade and its Volatility on Economic Growth: A Cross Country Empirical Investigation," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 18(2), pages 217-229, December.
- Nishat Fatima, 2010. "Analysing the Terms of Trade Effect for Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2010:59, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Bleaney, Michael & Greenaway, David, 2001. "The impact of terms of trade and real exchange rate volatility on investment and growth in sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 491-500, August.
- Qazi Hye, 2012. "Long term effect of trade openness on economic growth in case of Pakistan," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 1137-1149, June.
- Paul Cashin & C. John McCDermott, 2002.
"The Long-Run Behavior of Commodity Prices: Small Trends and Big Variability,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(2), pages 2.
- Paul Cashin & C. John McDermott, 2001. "The Long-Run Behavior of Commodity Prices; Small Trends and Big Variability," IMF Working Papers 01/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Haug, Alfred A, 2002. " Temporal Aggregation and the Power of Cointegration Tests: A Monte Carlo Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 399-412, September.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Hadass, Yael S & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 2003.
"Terms-of-Trade Shocks and Economic Performance, 1870-1940: Prebisch and Singer Revisited,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 629-56, April.
- Yael S. Hadass & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2001. "Terms of Trade Shocks and Economic Performance 1870-1940: Prebisch and Singer Revisited," NBER Working Papers 8188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Faridul Islam & Naveed Aamir, 2012.
"Is devaluation contractionary? Empirical evidence for Pakistan,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 299-316, November.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Faridul, Islam & Naveed, Aamir, 2011. "Is devaluation contractionary? empirical evidence for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32520, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Aug 2011.
- Arize, A. C., 1996. "Cointegration test of a long-run relation between the trade balance and the terms of trade in sixteen countries," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 203-215.
- Bouakez, Hafedh & Kano, Takashi, 2008. "Terms of trade and current account fluctuations: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect revisited," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 260-281, March.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., . "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Working Papers ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Mendoza, Enrique G., 1997. "Terms-of-trade uncertainty and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 323-356, December.
- Raza, Syed Ali & Jawaid, Syed Tehseen, 2013. "Terrorism and tourism: A conjunction and ramification in Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 65-70.
- repec:eme:jcefts:v:5:y:2012:i:3:pp:185-193 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mohammad Hashem Pesaran & Richard J Smith & Yongcheol Shin, 1999.
"Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables,"
ESE Discussion Papers
38, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol & Smith, Richard J., 2000. "Structural analysis of vector error correction models with exogenous I(1) variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 293-343, August.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1997. "Structural Analysis of Vector Error Correction Models with Exogenous I(1) Variables," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9706, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lutz, Matthias G, 1999. "A General Test of the Prebisch-Singer Hypothesis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 44-57, February.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Shigeyuki HAMORI, 2008. "Trade Balances and the Terms of Trade in G-7 Countries: Penal Cointegration Approach," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(2), pages 13-22.
- Otto, G., 2003. "Terms of trade shocks and the balance of trade: there is a Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 155-184, April.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- repec:eme:ceftpp:v:5:y:2012:i:3:pp:185-193 is not listed on IDEAS
- Archanun Kohpaiboon, 2003. "Foreign trade regimes and the FDI-Growth Nexus: a case study of Thailand," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 55-69.
- Piotr Misztal, 2010. "The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect. Theory and Practice in Poland," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 13(38), pages 129-146, December.
- Kaneko, Akihiko, 2000. "Terms of trade, economic growth, and trade patterns: a small open-economy case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 169-181, October.
- Paul Cashin & C. McDermott, 2002. "Terms of Trade Shocks and the Current Account: Evidence from Five Industrial Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 219-235, July.
- Hock Wong, 2010. "Terms of trade and economic growth in Japan and Korea: an empirical analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 139-158, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:940-946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.