A note on optimal capital stock and financing constraints
There is a robust literature on the relationship between financing constraints and real investment. Little has been said on the relationship between financing constraints and capital stock in the long run. This note focuses on this last issue. To keep the model tractable, we assume that the firm employs a single input, and this input is used as collateral. We get three main results. Firstly, we show that the optimal capital stock chosen by a firm is affected by financing constraints even when they are slack at the current time. Secondly, we show that the net present value of the potentially constrained firm is always smaller than the one of the never constrained firm. Finally, we find that in the presence of latent financing constraints the firm does not limit itself to reducing its investment when the upper limit is reached. What it actually does is to lower its long run optimal capital stock, amplifying the effects of constraints in the long run.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saltari, Enrico & Travaglini, Giuseppe, 2001. "Financial Constraints and Investment Decisions," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(3), pages 330-44, August.
- Chatelain, J.-B. & Teurlai, J.-C., 2001.
"Pitfalls in Investment Euler Equations,"
81, Banque de France.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1992.
"Business Fixed Investment Spending: A Critical survey of Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications,"
9213, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1993. "Business fixed investment spending: a critical survey of modeling strategies, empirical results, and policy implications," Research Working Paper 93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999.
"The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gabe de Bondt & Marie Diron, 2008. "Investment, financing constraints and profit expectations: new macro evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 577-581.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
- Nolan, Charles & Thoenissen, Christoph, 2009.
"Financial shocks and the US business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 596-604, May.
- Nolan, Charles & Thoenissen, Christoph, 2008. "Financial shocks and the US business cycle," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-58, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Charles Nolan & Christoph Thoenissen, 2008. "Financial shocks and the US business cycle," CDMA Working Paper Series 200810, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Saltari, Enrico & Ticchi, Davide, 2005. "Risk-aversion and the investment-uncertainty relationship: a comment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 121-125, January.
- d'Autume, Antoine & Michel, Philippe, 1985. "Future Investment Constraints Reduce Present Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 203-06, January.
- Saltari, Enrico & Travaglini, Giuseppe, 2006. "The effects of future financing constraints on capital accumulation: Some new results on the constrained investment problem," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 85-96, June.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1991.
"A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1991/233, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1994. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 841-79, November.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1991. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 3906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hart, O. & Moore, J., 1991. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," Working papers 592, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sangeeta Pratap & Silvio Rendon, 2003.
"Firm Investment in Imperfect Capital Markets: A Structural Estimation,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(3), pages 513-545, July.
- Sangeeta Pratap & Silvio Rendón, 1996. "Firm investment in imperfect capital markets: A structural estimation," Economics Working Papers 274, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 1998.
- Milne, Alistair & Robertson, Donald, 1996. "Firm behaviour under the threat of liquidation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1427-1449, August.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, .
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Saltari Enrico & Travaglini Giuseppe, 2003. "How Do Future Constraints Affect Current Investment?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Bassetto, Camila F. & Kalatzis, Aquiles E.G., 2011. "Financial distress, financial constraint and investment decision: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 264-271.
- Bassetto, Camila F. & Kalatzis, Aquiles E.G., 2011. "Financial distress, financial constraint and investment decision: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 264-271, January.
- Enrico Saltari & Davide Ticchi, 2002.
"Risk aversion, intertemporal substitution, and the aggregate investment-uncertainty relationship,"
69, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Saltari, Enrico & Ticchi, Davide, 2007. "Risk aversion, intertemporal substitution, and the aggregate investment-uncertainty relationship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 622-648, April.
- Whited, Toni M, 1998. "Why Do Investment Euler Equations Fail?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 479-88, October.
- Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & Teurlai, Jean-Christophe, 2006. "Euler investment equation, leverage and cash flow misspecification: An empirical analysis on a panel of French manufacturing firms," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 361-374, June.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fazzari, Steven M & Athey, Michael J, 1987. "Asymmetric Information, Financing Constraints, and Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 481-87, August.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Jaffee, Dwight & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1990. "Credit rationing," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 837-888 Elsevier.
- Robert Lensink & Hong Bo & Elmer Sterken, 2001. "Investment, Capital Market Imperfections, and Uncertainty," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1770.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1177-1180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.