A note on optimal capital stock and financing constraints
There is a robust literature on the relationship between financing constraints and real investment. Little has been said on the relationship between financing constraints and capital stock in the long run. This note focuses on this last issue. To keep the model tractable, we assume that the firm employs a single input, and this input is used as collateral. We get three main results. Firstly, we show that the optimal capital stock chosen by a firm is affected by financing constraints even when they are slack at the current time. Secondly, we show that the net present value of the potentially constrained firm is always smaller than the one of the never constrained firm. Finally, we find that in the presence of latent financing constraints the firm does not limit itself to reducing its investment when the upper limit is reached. What it actually does is to lower its long run optimal capital stock, amplifying the effects of constraints in the long run.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sangeeta Pratap & Silvio Rendón, 1996.
"Firm investment in imperfect capital markets: A structural estimation,"
Economics Working Papers
274, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 1998.
- Sangeeta Pratap & Silvio Rendon, 2003. "Firm Investment in Imperfect Capital Markets: A Structural Estimation," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(3), pages 513-545, July.
- Saltari, Enrico & Travaglini, Giuseppe, 2001. "Financial Constraints and Investment Decisions," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(3), pages 330-44, August.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999.
"The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Enrico Saltari & Davide Ticchi, 2002.
"Risk aversion, intertemporal substitution, and the aggregate investment-uncertainty relationship,"
69, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Saltari, Enrico & Ticchi, Davide, 2007. "Risk aversion, intertemporal substitution, and the aggregate investment-uncertainty relationship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 622-648, April.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Milne, Alistair & Robertson, Donald, 1996. "Firm behaviour under the threat of liquidation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1427-1449, August.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Jean-Christophe Teurlai, 2006.
"Euler investment equation, leverage and cash flow misspecification: An empirical analysis on a panel of French manufacturing firms,"
- Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & Teurlai, Jean-Christophe, 2006. "Euler investment equation, leverage and cash flow misspecification: An empirical analysis on a panel of French manufacturing firms," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 361-374, June.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Jean-Christophe Teurlai, 2006. "Euler Investment Equation, Leverage and Cash Flow Misspecification: an Empirical Analysis on a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00430853, HAL.
- Robert Lensink & Hong Bo & Elmer Sterken, 2001. "Investment, Capital Market Imperfections, and Uncertainty," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1770.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1993.
"Business fixed investment spending: a critical survey of modeling strategies, empirical results, and policy implications,"
Research Working Paper
93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Robert S. Chirinko, 1992. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: A Critical survey of Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Working Papers 9213, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Jaffee, Dwight & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1990. "Credit rationing," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 837-888 Elsevier.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Jean-Christophe Teurlai, 2001.
"Pitfalls in Investment Euler Equations,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Saltari, Enrico & Travaglini, Giuseppe, 2006. "The effects of future financing constraints on capital accumulation: Some new results on the constrained investment problem," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 85-96, June.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-48, April.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995. "Credit Cycles," NBER Working Papers 5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ryo Kato, 2003. "Matlab code for Kiyotaki-Moore credit cycles," QM&RBC Codes 113, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, . "Credit Cycles," Discussion Papers 1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nolan, Charles & Thoenissen, Christoph, 2008.
"Financial shocks and the US business cycle,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-58, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Saltari, Enrico & Ticchi, Davide, 2005. "Risk-aversion and the investment-uncertainty relationship: a comment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 121-125, January.
- Bassetto, Camila F. & Kalatzis, Aquiles E.G., 2011. "Financial distress, financial constraint and investment decision: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 264-271.
- Chirinko, Robert S, 1993. "Business Fixed Investment Spending: Modeling Strategies, Empirical Results, and Policy Implications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1875-1911, December.
- Christopher A. Hennessy & Toni M. Whited, 2007. "How Costly Is External Financing? Evidence from a Structural Estimation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1705-1745, 08.
- Gabe de Bondt & Marie Diron, 2008. "Investment, financing constraints and profit expectations: new macro evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 577-581.
- d'Autume, Antoine & Michel, Philippe, 1985.
"Future Investment Constraints Reduce Present Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 203-06, January.
- Antoine D'Autume & Philippe Michel, 1985. "Future Investment Constraints Reduce Present Investment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00430114, HAL.
- Saltari Enrico & Travaglini Giuseppe, 2003. "How Do Future Constraints Affect Current Investment?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Whited, Toni M, 1998. "Why Do Investment Euler Equations Fail?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 479-88, October.
- Bassetto, Camila F. & Kalatzis, Aquiles E.G., 2011. "Financial distress, financial constraint and investment decision: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 264-271, January.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1994. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 841-879.
- Fazzari, Steven M & Athey, Michael J, 1987. "Asymmetric Information, Financing Constraints, and Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 481-87, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:4:p:1177-1180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.