Single and Double Black-Cox: Two approaches for modelling debt restructuring
In this paper we propose two first-passage-time approaches for pricing debt and equity when the firm is able to restructure its debt as an alternative to liquidation. In contrast to other first passage models that account for reorganization, our approaches allow the firm to restructure its debt by changing its maturity and/or its face value. The first approach developed consists of a first-passage model for reorganization together with a Merton approach for default, while the second approach uses first-passage models for both reorganization and default. We also provide a comparison of the proposed approaches with the Merton (Merton, R.C., 1974. On the pricing of corporate debt: The risk structure of interest rates. Journal of Finance, 29, 449-470.) and Black and Cox (Black, F. and Cox, J.C., 1976, Valuing corporate securities: Some effects of bond indenture provisions. Journal of Finance, 31, 351-367.) models.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gertner, Robert & Scharfstein, David, 1991.
" A Theory of Workouts and the Effects of Reorganization Law,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1189-1222, September.
- Robert Gertner & David Scharfstein, 1991. "A Theory of Workouts and the Effects of Reorganization Law," NBER Technical Working Papers 0103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1994.
" Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1213-52, September.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1994. "Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-233, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jan Ericsson & Joel Reneby, 1998.
"A framework for valuing corporate securities,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3-4), pages 143-163.
- Ericsson, Jan & Reneby, Joel, 1995. "A Framework for Valuing Corporate Securities," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 89, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Oct 1998.
- Chatterjee, Sris & Dhillon, Upinder S. & Ramirez, Gabriel G., 1995. "Coercive tender and exchange offers in distressed high-yield debt restructurings An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 333-360, July.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Warner, Jerold B, 1977. "Bankruptcy Costs: Some Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 337-47, May.
- Haugen, Robert A. & Senbet, Lemma W., 1988. "Bankruptcy and Agency Costs: Their Significance to the Theory of Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 27-38, March.
- Hua He William P. Keirstead and Joachim Rebholz., 1995.
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-248, University of California at Berkeley.
- Pascal Francois, 2004. "Capital Structure and Asset Prices: Some Effects of Bankruptcy Procedures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(2), pages 387-412, April.
- Sris Chatterjee & Upinder S. Dhillon & Gabriel G. Ramirez, 1996. "Resolution of Financial Distress : Debt Restructurings via Chapter 11, Prepackaged Bankruptcies, and Workouts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(1), Spring.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Ariadna Dumitrescu, 2003.
"Valuation of Defaultable Bonds and Debt Restructuring,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
590.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Dumitrescu, Ariadna, 2007. "Valuation of defaultable bonds and debt restructuring," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 94-111, March.
- T. C.G. Fisher & J. Martel, 2000.
"The Effect of Bankruptcy Reform on the Number of Corporate Reorganization Proposals,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-46, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Timothy C. G. Fisher & Jocelyn Martel, 2003. "The Effect of Bankruptcy Reform on the Number of Corporate Reorganization Proposals," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(3), pages 339-349, September.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Galai, Dan & Raviv, Alon & Wiener, Zvi, 2007.
"Liquidation triggers and the valuation of equity and debt,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3604-3620, December.
- Dan Galai & Alon Raviv & Zvi Wiener, 2003. "Liquidation Triggers and the Valuation of Equity and Debt," Finance 0305002, EconWPA.
- Fan, Hua & Sundaresan, Suresh M, 2000. "Debt Valuation, Renegotiation, and Optimal Dividend Policy," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 1057-99.
- Chi, Li-Chiu & Tang, Tseng-Chung, 2007. "Impact of reorganization announcements on distressed-stock returns," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 749-767, September.
- Franks, Julian R & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " An Empirical Investigation of U.S. Firms in Reorganization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 747-69, July.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 1990. " Pricing Options with Extendible Maturities: Analysis and Applications," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 935-57, July.
- Haugen, Robert A & Senbet, Lemma W, 1978. "The Insignificance of Bankruptcy Costs to the Theory of Optimal Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 383-93, May.
- Gilson, Stuart C. & John, Kose & Lang, Larry H. P., 1990. "Troubled debt restructurings*1: An empirical study of private reorganization of firms in default," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 315-353, October.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Brown, David T, 1989. "Claimholder Incentive Conflicts in Reorganization: The Role of Bankruptcy Law," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 109-23.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1989.
"Active Investors, LBOs, and the Privatization of Bankruptcy,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 2(1), pages 35-44.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "Active Investors, LBOs, and the Privatization of Bankruptcy," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 77-85.
- Branch, Ben, 2002. "The costs of bankruptcy: A review," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-57.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:26:y:2009:i:5:p:910-917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.