E Pluribus Unum: Macroeconomic modelling for multi-agent economies
From the macroeconomist's viewpoint, agent based modelling has an obvious drawback: it makes impossible to think in aggregate terms. The modeller, in fact, can reconstruct aggregate variables only “from the bottom up” by summing the levels of a myriad of individual variables. We propose a modelling strategy which reduces the dimensionality of an agent based framework by replacing the actual distribution with the first and higher moments of the distribution itself. We put this strategy at work in a Macroeconomic and Agent Based Model (M&ABM) of the financial accelerator in which firms' heterogeneous degrees of financial robustness affect investment in a Greenwald-Stiglitz setting.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2013)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001.
"Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function,"
Departmental Working Papers
200106, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004. "Solving dynamic general equilibrium models using a second-order approximation to the policy function," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 755-775, January.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Solving Dynamic General Equilibrium Models Using a Second-Order Approximation to the Policy Function," NBER Technical Working Papers 0282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mark Gertler & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1988.
"Financial factors in business fluctuations,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 33-78.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1988.
"Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
2494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1993. "Financial Market Imperfections and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 77-114.
- Juan Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2004.
"Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1172-1205, December.
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Working Papers 2002-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Juan Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2003. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Macroeconomics 0309003, EconWPA.
- Cordoba, Juan Carlos & Ripoll, Marla, 2010. "Collateral Constraints in a Monetary Economy," Staff General Research Papers Archive 32123, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M. Gallegati & A. Palestrini & D. Gatti & E. Scalas, 2006. "Aggregation of Heterogeneous Interacting Agents: The Variant Representative Agent Framework," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 1(1), pages 5-19, May.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1984.
"Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 194-99, May.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz & Andrew Weiss, 1984. "Informational Imperfections in the Capital Market and Macro-Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 1335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- White, Michelle J, 1989. "The Corporate Bankruptcy Decision," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 129-51, Spring.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1987.
"Financial Fragility and Economic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
2318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, .
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:37:y:2013:i:8:p:1659-1682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.