Testing conditional asymmetry: A residual-based approach
We propose three residual-based tests for conditional asymmetry. The distribution is assumed to fall into the class of skewed distributions of Fernández and Steel (1998). In this class, asymmetry is measured by the ratio between the probabilities of being larger and smaller than the mode. Estimation is performed under the null hypothesis of constant asymmetry of the innovations and, in a second step, tests for conditional asymmetry are performed on generalized residuals through parametric and nonparametric methods. We derive the asymptotic distribution of the tests that incorporates the uncertainty of the estimated parameters. A Monte Carlo study shows that neglecting this uncertainty severely biases the tests. An empirical application on a basket of daily returns reveals that financial data often present dynamics in the conditional skewness.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Conditional volatility, skewness, and kurtosis: existence, persistence, and comovements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1699-1737, August.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 2003. "Diagnostic Checking For The Adequacy Of Nonlinear Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 1065-1121, December.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2001.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "Value-at-Risk for long and short trading positions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1707, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1970. "The Fundamental Approximation Theorem of Portfolio Analysis in terms of Means, Variances and Higher Moments," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(4), pages 537-542.
- Kenneth D. West, 1994.
"Asymptotic Inference About Predictive Ability,"
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0841, Econometric Society.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2005. "Nonparametric Specification Testing for Continuous-Time Models with Applications to Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 37-84.
- GARCIA, René & RENAULT, Eric & VEREDAS, David, 2006.
"Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Garcia, René & Renault, Eric & Veredas, David, 2011. "Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-337, April.
- Jose Olmo, 2008. "On the role of volatility for modelling risk exposure," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 219-234.
- Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Nonlinear Pricing Kernels, Kurtosis Preference, and Evidence from the Cross Section of Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 369-403, 02.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Y. K. Tse, 2002. "Residual-based diagnostics for conditional heteroscedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 358-374, 06.
- Zheng, John Xu, 1998. "Consistent Specification Testing For Conditional Symmetry," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 139-149, February.
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates,"
9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Veredas, David, 2009.
"Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2309-2324, April.
- LOMBARDI, Marco & VEREDAS, David, 2007. "Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 2007018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Egorov, Alexei V. & Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2006. "Validating forecasts of the joint probability density of bond yields: Can affine models beat random walk?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 255-284.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
- Sébastien Laurent, 2004. "Analytical Derivates of the APARCH Model," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 51-57, 08.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:36:y:2012:i:8:p:1229-1247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.