Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty by backward induction
This paper describes a method to solve models with a continuum of agents, incomplete markets and aggregate uncertainty. I use backward induction on a finite grid of points in the aggregate state space. The aggregate state includes a small number of statistics (moments) of the cross-sectional distribution of capital. For any given set of moments, agents use a specific cross-sectional distribution, called "proxy distribution", to compute the equilibrium. Information from the steady state distribution as well as from simulations can be used to chose a suitable proxy distribution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Den Haan, Wouter J, 1996.
"Heterogeneity, Aggregate Uncertainty, and the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 399-411, October.
- Wouter Denhaan, 1996. "FORTRAN code for Heterogeinity, Aggregate Uncertainty and the Short-Term Interest Rate," QM&RBC Codes 60, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2005.
"The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2006. "The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 312-320, June.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2005. "The method of endogenous gridpoints for solving dynamic stochastic optimization problems," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher Carroll, 2005. "The Method of Endogenous Gridpoints for Solving Dynamic Stochastic Optimization Problems," Economics Working Paper Archive 520, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Yann Algan & Olivier Allais & Wouter J Den Haan, 2007.
"Solving Heterogeneous-agent Models with Parameterized Cross-sectional Distributions,"
Sciences Po publications
6062, Sciences Po.
- Algan, Yann & Allais, Olivier & Den Haan, Wouter J., 2008. "Solving heterogeneous-agent models with parameterized cross-sectional distributions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 875-908, March.
- Yann Algan & Olivier Allais & Wouter J Den Haan, 2006. "Solving Heterogeneous-agent Models with Parameterized Cross-sectional Distributions," Sciences Po publications 2006 - 46, Sciences Po.
- Algan, Yann & Allais, Olivier & Den Haan, Wouter, 2007. "Solving Heterogeneous-Agent Models with Parameterized Cross-Sectional Distributions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, June.
- Den Haan, Wouter, 2008.
"Comparison of Solutions to the Incomplete Markets Model with Aggregate Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Den Haan, Wouter J., 2010. "Comparison of solutions to the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 4-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:34:y:2010:i:1:p:28-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.