FSSIM, a bio-economic farm model for simulating the response of EU farming systems to agricultural and environmental policies
The disciplinary nature of most existing farm models as well as the issue specific orientation of most of the studies in agricultural systems research are main reasons for the limited use and re-use of bio-economic modelling for the ex-ante integrated assessment of policy decisions. The objective of this article is to present a bio-economic farm model that is generic and re-usable for different bio-physical and socio-economic contexts, facilitating the linking of micro and macro analysis or to provide detailed analysis of farming systems in a specific region. Model use is illustrated in this paper with an analysis of the impacts of the CAP reform of 2003 for arable and livestock farms in a context of market liberalization. Results from the application of the model to representative farms in Flevoland (the Netherlands) and Midi-Pyrenees (France) shows that CAP reform 2003 under market liberalization will cause substantial substitution of root crops and durum wheat by vegetables and oilseed crops. Much of the set-aside area will be put into production intensifying the existing farming systems. Abolishment of the milk quota system will cause an increase of the average herd size. The average total gross margin of farm types in Flevoland decreases while the average total gross margin of farms in Midi-Pyrenees increases. The results show that the model can simulate arable and livestock farm types of two regions different from a bio-physical and socio-economic point of view and it can deal with a variety of policy instruments. The examples show that the model can be (re-)used as a basis for future research and as a comprehensive tool for future policy analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janssen, Sander & van Ittersum, Martin K., 2007. "Assessing farm innovations and responses to policies: A review of bio-economic farm models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 622-636, June.
- Janssen, Sander J.C. & van Ittersum, Martin K. & Louhichi, Kamel & Kanellopoulos, Argyris & Meuter, Eelco & Hengsdijk, Huib & Zander, Peter & Thorne, Peter J. & Flichman, Guillermo & Blanco Fonseca, M, 2009. "Integration of all FSSIM components within SEAMLESS-IF and a stand alone Graphical User Interface for FSSIM," Reports 57790, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Ottmar Röhm & Stephan Dabbert, 2003. "Integrating Agri-Environmental Programs into Regional Production Models: An Extension of Positive Mathematical Programming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 254-265.
- Louhichi, Kamel & Belhouchette, Hatem & Wery, Jacques & Therond, Olivier & Flichman, Guillermo, 2008. "Impact Assessment Of The 2003 Cap Reform And The Nitrate Directive On The Arable Farming System In The Midi-Pyrénées Region: Bio-Economic Modeling At Field, Farm And Regional Levels," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44826, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Riesgo, Laura & Gomez-Limon, Jose A., 2006. "Multi-criteria policy scenario analysis for public regulation of irrigated agriculture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 1-28, November.
- van Ittersum, Martin K. & Ewert, Frank & Heckelei, Thomas & Wery, Jacques & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Andersen, Erling & Bezlepkina, Irina & Brouwer, Floor & Donatelli, Marcello & Flichman, Guillermo & , 2008. "Integrated assessment of agricultural systems - A component-based framework for the European Union (SEAMLESS)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 150-165, March.
- Elbersen, Berien S. & Kempen, Markus & van Diepen, C.A. & Andersen, Erling & Hazeu, Gerard W. & Verhoog, A. David, 2006. "Protocols for spatial allocation of farm types," Reports 9285, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Richard E. Howitt, 1995. "A Calibration Method For Agricultural Economic Production Models," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 147-159.
- Thorne, Peter J. & Hengsdijk, Huib & Janssen, Sander J.C. & Louhichi, Kamel & van Keulen, Herman & Thornton, Philip K., 2009. "Modelling Livestock Component in FSSIM," Reports 57788, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Semaan, Josephine & Flichman, Guillermo & Scardigno, Alessandra & Steduto, Pasquale, 2007. "Analysis of nitrate pollution control policies in the irrigated agriculture of Apulia Region (Southern Italy): A bio-economic modelling approach," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 357-367, May.
- Veysset, P. & Bebin, D. & Lherm, M., 2005. "Adaptation to Agenda 2000 (CAP reform) and optimisation of the farming system of French suckler cattle farms in the Charolais area: a model-based study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 179-202, February.
- Zander, Peter & Borkowski, Nina & Hecker, Martin & Uthes, Sandra & Stokstad, Grete & Rorstad, Per Kr. & Bellocchi, Gianni, 2010. "Procedure to Identify and Assess Current Activities," Reports 57938, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Thomas Heckelei & Hendrik Wolff, 2003. "Estimation of constrained optimisation models for agricultural supply analysis based on generalised maximum entropy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 27-50, March.
- Topp, C. F. E. & Mitchell, M., 2003. "Forecasting the environmental and socio-economic consequences of changes in the Common Agricultural Policy," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 227-252, April.
- Donaldson, A. B. & Flichman, G. & Webster, J. P. G., 1995. "Integrating agronomic and economic models for policy analysis at the farm level: The impact of CAP reform in two European regions," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 163-178.
- Argyris Kanellopoulos & Paul Berentsen & Thomas Heckelei & Martin van Ittersum & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2010. "Assessing the Forecasting Performance of a Generic Bio-Economic Farm Model Calibrated With Two Different PMP Variants," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 274-294.
- Britz, Wolfgang & Perez Dominguez, Ignacio & Zimmermann, Andrea & Heckelei, Thomas, 2007. "Definition of the CAPRI Core Modelling System and Interfaces with other Components of SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 9284, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:103:y:2010:i:8:p:585-597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.