Effects of Oil and Natural Gas Prices on Industrial Production in the Eurozone Member Countries
Industrial production is one of the leading indicators of gross domestic product which reflects the overall economic performance of a country. In other words decreases or increases in industrial production point out a contracting or expanding economy. Therefore, changes in prices of oil and natural gas which are the crucial inputs to the industrial production are also important for the overall economy. This study examines the effects of changes in oil and natural gas prices on the industrial production in the 18 Eurozone member countries during the period January 2001-September 2013 by using panel regression. We found that oil prices and natural gas prices had negative effect on industrial production in the Eurozone member countries.
Volume (Year): 4 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guidi, Francesco, 2009.
"The economic effects of oil prices shocks on the UK manufacturing and services sector,"
16171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Guidi, 2010. "The Economic Effects of Oil Prices Shocks on the UK Manufacturing and Services Sectors," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 5-34, October.
- Weiqi Tang & Libo Wu & ZhongXiang Zhang, 2009.
"Oil Price Shocks and Their Short- and Long-Term Effects on the Chinese Economy,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
102, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Tang, Weiqi & Wu, Libo & Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2010. "Oil price shocks and their short- and long-term effects on the Chinese economy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(Supplemen), pages S3-S14, September.
- Tang, Weiqi & Wu, Libo & Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2009. "Oil price shocks and their short- and long-term effects on the Chinese economy," MPRA Paper 14703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jiranyakul, Komain, 2006. "The Impact of International Oil Prices on Industrial Production: The Case of Thailand," MPRA Paper 47035, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ali Ahmed, Huson Joher & Bashar, Omar H.M.N. & Wadud, I.K.M. Mokhtarul, 2012. "The transitory and permanent volatility of oil prices: What implications are there for the US industrial production?," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 447-455.
- Burcu Berke, 2009. "Avrupa Parasal Birliginde Kamu Borc Stoku ve Enflasyon Iliskisi: Panel Veri Analizi," Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal, Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 9(1), pages 30-55, May.
- Surender Kumar, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Price Shocks: Empirical Evidence for India," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 15-37.
- Lee, Kiseok & Ni, Shawn, 2002. "On the dynamic effects of oil price shocks: a study using industry level data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 823-852, May.
- Ramón Cobo-Reyes & Gabriel Pérez Quirós, 2005. "The effect of oil price on industrial production and on stock returns," ThE Papers 05/18, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Torul Orhan & Alper C. Emre, 2010.
"Asymmetric Effects of Oil Prices on the Manufacturing Sector in Turkey,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 90-105, July.
- C. Emre Alper & Orhan Torul, 2009. "Asymmetric Effects of Oil Prices on the Manufacturing Sector in Turkey," Working Papers 2009/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Hooker, Mark A., 1996. "What happened to the oil price-macroeconomy relationship?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 195-213, October.
- Mohsen Mehrara & Mehdi Sarem, 2009. "Effects of oil price shocks on industrial production: evidence from some oil-exporting countries," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 33(3-4), pages 170-183, 09.
- Kevin L. Kliesen, 2006. "Rising natural gas prices and real economic activity," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 511-526.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ2:2014-02-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.