Financial development and economic growth: a cointegration and error-correction modeling approach for south Asian countries
This paper assesses long-run causal relationship between financial development and economic growth for South Asian countries - India, Pakistan and Bangladesh for the period 1976 -2008. Financial development emanates from financial systems that encourage financial stability and foster a framework for the implementation of successful economic polices. Financial Systems can be divided into ‘bank-based'' and ‘capital-market-based'' categories. Bank-based financial systems are the close involvement of their banks with industrial firms; banks are the most important source of finance for industry. Capital-market-based financial systems are characterized by highly developed capital markets and banks. Bank-based financial systems may be in a good position to implement successfully expansionary monetary policy and industrial strategy. Financial liberalisation and repression may show a positive association between financial development and economic growth. We conduct cointegrated vector autoregressive model to assess long-run relationship between financial development and economic growth. Empirical results imply a stable relationship between financial development and economic growth for these countries. Results of error correction models indicate Granger causality between financial development and economic growth running from financial development to economic growth.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Harb, Nasri & Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East,"
13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mouawiya Al-Awad & Nasri Harb, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth in the Middle East," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1041-1051.
- A. Galetovic, 1996. "Finance and growth: a synthesis and interpretation of the evidence," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(196), pages 59-82.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E., 1995.
"Financial development and economic growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-448, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- OZTURK, Ilhan, 2008. "Financial Development And Economic Growth: Evidence From Turkey," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 8(1), pages 85-98.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, . "Finance and growth: Institutional Considerations and Causality," Working Papers 9605, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Deren Unalmis, 2002. "The Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth : The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 0203, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- A. Galetovic, 1996. "Finance and growth: a synthesis and interpretation of the evidence," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(196), pages 59-82.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.