Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach
This paper analyzes the level of “technical” quality public schools and determines whether or not there are discrepancies between this indicator and parents’ subjective perception of quality. A sample of public schools in Catalonia is surveyed. The results show that parents correctly perceive the technical quality. Furthermore, there is a significant negative relationship between the concentration index and parental demand. The findings reveal that parents have some awareness of school quality when enrolling their children and try to obtain their choice based on quality considerations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruggiero, John, 1998. "Non-discretionary inputs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 461-469, December.
- Mark Schneider & Gregory Elacqua & Jack Buckley, 2006. "School choice in Chile: Is it class or the classroom?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 577-601.
- Lee, Jong-Wha & Barro, Robert J, 2001.
"Schooling Quality in a Cross-Section of Countries,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(272), pages 465-488, November.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Robert J. Barro, 1997. "Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 6198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, J.-W. & Barro, R.J., 1998. "Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries," Papers 659, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Mikael Lindahl & Alan B. Krueger, 2001. "Education for Growth: Why and for Whom?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1101-1136, December.
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000. "Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?," Working Papers 808, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000. "Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?," NBER Working Papers 7591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kingdon, Geeta, 1996. "The Quality and Efficiency of Private and Public Education: A Case-Study of Urban India," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(1), pages 57-82, February.
- Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2005. "Efficiency, endogenous and exogenous credit risk in the banking systems of the Euro area," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 631-649.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 2000. "Efficiency, Endogenous And Exogenous Credit Risk In The Banking Systems Of The Euro Area," Working Papers. Serie EC 2000-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Sebastian Fehrler & Katharina Michaelowa & Annika Wechtler, 2009. "The Effectiveness of Inputs in Primary Education: Insights from Recent Student Surveys for Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1545-1578.
- Smith, Peter & Mayston, David, 1987. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 181-189.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valérie Vierstraete, 2010. "Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: an application to school districts in Québec," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 173(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valérie Vierstraete, 2008. "Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: An application to school districts in Québec," Cahiers de recherche 08-25, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valerie Vierstraete, 2005. "An evaluation of the efficiency of Quebec's school boards using the Data Envelopment Analysis method," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(14), pages 1643-1653.
- Michaelowa, Katharina, 2001. "Primary Education Quality in Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa: Determinants of Learning Achievement and Efficiency Considerations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1699-1716, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Andrew Johnson & John Ruggiero, 2014. "Nonparametric measurement of productivity and efficiency in education," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 221(1), pages 197-210, October.
- Hanushek, Eric, 1971. "Teacher Characteristics and Gains in Student Achievement: Estimation Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 280-288, May.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-444, June.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Jose Pastor, 2002. "Credit risk and efficiency in the European banking system: A three-stage analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 895-911.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999. "- Credit Risk And Efficiency In The European Banking Systems: A Three-Stage Analysis," Working Papers. Serie EC 1999-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-1177, September.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Luque, Javier A., 2003. "Efficiency and equity in schools around the world," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 481-502, October.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Javier A. Luque, 2002. "Efficiency and Equity in Schools around the World," NBER Working Papers 8949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Pastor, 1999. "Efficiency and risk management in Spanish banking: a method to decompose risk," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 371-384.
- Dewey, James & Husted, Thomas A. & Kenny, Lawrence W., 1999. "The ineffectiveness of school inputs: a product of misspecification?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 27-45, February.
- Thieme, Claudio & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "A multilevel decomposition of school performance using robust nonparametric frontier techniques," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 104-121.
- Muniz, M. A., 2002. "Separating managerial inefficiency and external conditions in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(3), pages 625-643, December.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)