Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach
This paper analyzes the level of “technical” quality public schools and determines whether or not there are discrepancies between this indicator and parents’ subjective perception of quality. A sample of public schools in Catalonia is surveyed. The results show that parents correctly perceive the technical quality. Furthermore, there is a significant negative relationship between the concentration index and parental demand. The findings reveal that parents have some awareness of school quality when enrolling their children and try to obtain their choice based on quality considerations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kingdon, Geeta, 1996. "The Quality and Efficiency of Private and Public Education: A Case-Study of Urban India," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(1), pages 57-82, February.
- Lee, J.-W. & Barro, R.J., 1998.
"Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries,"
659, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2005.
"Efficiency, endogenous and exogenous credit risk in the banking systems of the Euro area,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(9), pages 631-649.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 2000. "Efficiency, Endogenous And Exogenous Credit Risk In The Banking Systems Of The Euro Area," Working Papers. Serie EC 2000-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000.
"Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?,"
NBER Working Papers
7591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thieme, Claudio & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "A multilevel decomposition of school performance using robust nonparametric frontier techniques," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 104-121.
- Dewey, James & Husted, Thomas A. & Kenny, Lawrence W., 1999. "The ineffectiveness of school inputs: a product of misspecification?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 27-45, February.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Javier A. Luque, 2002.
"Efficiency and Equity in Schools around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
8949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Pastor, 2002.
"Credit risk and efficiency in the European banking system: A three-stage analysis,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(12), pages 895-911.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999. "- Credit Risk And Efficiency In The European Banking Systems: A Three-Stage Analysis," Working Papers. Serie EC 1999-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Smith, Peter & Mayston, David, 1987. "Measuring efficiency in the public sector," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 181-189.
- Jose Pastor, 1999. "Efficiency and risk management in Spanish banking: a method to decompose risk," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 371-384.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2001. "Decomposing school and school-type efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Sebastian Fehrler & Katharina Michaelowa & Annika Wechtler, 2009. "The Effectiveness of Inputs in Primary Education: Insights from Recent Student Surveys for Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1545-1578.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valérie Vierstraete, 2010.
"Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: an application to school districts in Québec,"
Annals of Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 173(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valérie Vierstraete, 2008. "Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: An application to school districts in Québec," Cahiers de recherche 08-25, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Ruggiero, John, 1998. "Non-discretionary inputs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 461-469, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Muniz, M. A., 2002. "Separating managerial inefficiency and external conditions in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(3), pages 625-643, December.
- Mark Schneider & Gregory Elacqua & Jack Buckley, 2006. "School choice in Chile: Is it class or the classroom?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 577-601.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Michaelowa, Katharina, 2001. "Primary Education Quality in Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa: Determinants of Learning Achievement and Efficiency Considerations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1699-1716, October.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Deller, Steven C. & Rudnicki, Edward, 1993. "Production efficiency in elementary education: The case of Maine public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-57, March.
- Pierre Ouellette & Valerie Vierstraete, 2005. "An evaluation of the efficiency of Quebec's school boards using the Data Envelopment Analysis method," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(14), pages 1643-1653.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Hanushek, Eric, 1971. "Teacher Characteristics and Gains in Student Achievement: Estimation Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 280-88, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:13:y2013:i:3_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.