La eficiencia técnica como medida de rendimiento de las cooperativas agrarias
The intention of rural development is to guarantee the population of an agricultural environment a set of living conditions that are comparable to those of urban areas. This is why it is so important that there are agents capable of creating initiatives that contribute to the development of rural communities. These agents include agricultural cooperatives, due to their special links with the rural population and the rural areas in which they are based. It is becoming increasingly important to study the performance of these organisations, particularly when we consider the problems involved in measuring this as result of their peculiarities. In fact, the degree to which agricultural cooperatives can contribute to the well-being of the rural community depends on their efficiency. In view of this situation, the aim of this paper is to explore the advantages of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) as a technique for measuring the performance of agricultural cooperatives. The results of the empirical study carried out using data from 108 agricultural cooperatives show that calculating performance by means of this technique proves to be a satisfactory complement to traditional methods of economic analysis of agricultural cooperatives.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 55 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. dels Tarongers, s/n., Despacho 2P21, 46022 Valencia|
Phone: 96 382 84 89 / 96 356 22 48
Fax: 96 382 84 92
Web page: http://www.ciriec.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. M. Hind, 1994. "Cooperatives - Under Performers By Nature? An Exploratory Analysis Of Cooperative And Non-Cooperative Companies In The Agri-Business Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 213-219.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1991. "Size and industry effects in the performance of agricultural cooperatives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 15-29, October.
- Pere Sabaté Prats, 2002. "Análisis comparativo de la eficiencia de las cooperativas fruteras de la provincia de Lleida," CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa, CIRIEC-España, issue 41, pages 163-182, August.
- David D. Trechter, 1996. "Impact of diversification on agricultural cooperatives in Wisconsin," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 385-394.
- Pere Sabaté Prats & Xavier Sabi Marcamo & Ramon Saladrigues Solé, 2000. "Cooperativas versus sociedades mercantiles. El sector frutero en Lleida," CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa, CIRIEC-España, issue 34, pages 51-70, April.
- Duran, Paloma Bel & Casal, M.ª Jose Cabaleiro, 2002. "La sociedad cooperativa: fórmula empresarial idónea para el desarrollo rural endógeno y sostenible," Revista Española de Estudios Agrosociales y Pesqueros, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Rural y Marino (formerly Ministry of Agriculture), issue 194.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Smith, P, 1990. "Data envelopment analysis applied to financial statements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 131-138.
- Satbir Singh & Tim Coelli & Euan Fleming, 2001. "Performance of Dairy Plants in the Cooperative and Private Sectors in India," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(4), pages 453-479, December.
- Jeffrey P. Katz, 1997. "Managerial behavior and strategy choices in agribusiness cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 483-495.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1991. "Size and industry effects in the performance of agricultural cooperatives," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), October.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Giménez, Fernando Vidal & Río, Baldomero Segura Garcia Del & Gomis, Francisco José Del Campo, 2000. "Eficiencia de las cooperativas de comercialización hortofrutícola de la Comunidad Valenciana," Revista Española de Estudios Agrosociales y Pesqueros, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Rural y Marino (formerly Ministry of Agriculture), issue 188.
- Dios Palomares, R. & Martínez Paz, J.M. & Vicario Modroño, V., 2003. "Eficiencia versus innovación en explotaciones agrarias / Efficiency versus innovation in multicrop farms," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 21, pages 485-501, December.
- Leyva, Javier Calatrava & Leon, Rafael Canero, 2001. "Funciones de producción frontera en invernaderos almerienses: identificación de factores relacionados con la eficiencia técnica," Revista Española de Estudios Agrosociales y Pesqueros, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Rural y Marino (formerly Ministry of Agriculture), issue 193.
- Alfonso Vargas Sánchez & Elia García Martí, 2003. "La medición del desempeño de las sociedades cooperativas agrarias. Perspectiva de los directores-gerentes de las provincias de Huelva y Jaén," CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa, CIRIEC-España, issue 46, pages 85-116, November.
- G.E. Boyle, 2004. "The economic efficiency of Irish dairy marketing co-operatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 143-153.
- Kyriakos Kyriakopoulos & Matthew Meulenberg & Jerker Nilsson, 2004. "The impact of cooperative structure and firm culture on market orientation and performance," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 379-396.
- G. D. Ferrier & P. K. Porter, 1991. "The Productive Efficiency Of Us Milk Processing Co-Operatives," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 161-173.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cic:revcir:y:2006:i:55:p:289-311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Chaves)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.