The impact of cooperative structure and firm culture on market orientation and performance
Building on recent advances in cooperative literature and practice, we conceive two key organizational features of cooperatives: cooperative structure (in terms of control, ownership, and cost|pricing policies resulting in traditional and re-engineered co-ops) as well as entrepreneurial cooperative firm culture. Then we conceptualize and test the effect of these organizational features on the market orientation and performance of the cooperative firm relying on a sample of Dutch co-ops. We cannot establish a systematic influence of the cooperative structure; however, a significant influence of individualized member ownership on performance and of cost|pricing policies on market orientation has been found. Entrepreneurial firm culture has a significant effect on both market orientation and performance. [EconLit citations: L200, M310, Q130.] © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 20: 379-396, 2004.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albaek, Svend & Schultz, Christian, 1997.
" One Cow, One Vote?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(4), pages 597-615, December.
- Svend Albæk & Christian Schultz, 1997. "One cow, one vote?," CIE Discussion Papers 1997-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- A. M. Hind, 1994. "Cooperatives - Under Performers By Nature? An Exploratory Analysis Of Cooperative And Non-Cooperative Companies In The Agri-Business Sector," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 213-219.
- Gruber, Jennifer E. & Rogers, Richard T. & Sexton, Richard J., 2000. "Do Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives Advertise Less Intensively Than Investor-Owned Food-Processing Firms?," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 15.
- Zvi Lerman & Claudia Parliament, 1990. "Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 527-540. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:20:y:2004:i:4:p:379-396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.