Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries
The comparative financial performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms (IOFs) in the fruit and vegetable processing and the dairy industries was analyzed for the years 1976 through 1987. Contrary to theoretical expectations, the cooperatives in both industries were found to perform as well as or better than the comparable IOFs by profitability, leverage, and interest coverage measures. No clear evidence was found of the hypothesized overinvestment in fixed assets or pronounced moral hazard behavior in cooperatives. The lack of significant differences in profitability between the two types of firms suggests that cooperatives may be following goals similar to IOFs.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 6 (1990)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sexton, Richard J. & Wilson, Brooks M. & Wann, Joyce J., 1989. "Some Tests Of The Economic Theory Of Cooperatives: Methodology And Application To Cotton Ginning," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Kwo-Shin Chen & Emerson M. Babb & Lee F. Schrader, 1985. "Growth of large cooperative and proprietary firms in the US food sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 201-210.
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:6:y:1990:i:6:p:527-540. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.