Add Producers and Stir? (Re) politicizing Fairtrade participation
While recent changes to Fairtrade's governance structures aim to facilitate 'stronger voices' for producers (Fairtrade International 2011b), relatively little is known about the impact of these new structures on individuals. Utilizing Fung and Wright's (2003) framework of Empowered Participatory Governance, I am to explore the nature of participation in Fairtrade governance for the co-operatives and individuals belonging to the Fairtrade Africa producer network. I then consider Fung's (2002) notion of countervailing power as a means of understanding representation, particularly as it pertains to those individuals who are typically marginalized within governance processes such as women, the landless, and migrant workers. This paper is part of a broader research project on Tanzanian Fairtrade coffee farmers.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +44-(0)20-7882-3167|
Web page: http://www.busman.qmul.ac.uk/research/cgr/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Arce, 2009. "Living in times of solidarity: Fair trade and the fractured life worlds of Guatemalan coffee farmers," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1031-1041.
- Sarah Lyon, 2007. "Fair Trade Coffee and Human Rights in Guatemala," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 241-261, September.
- Cornwall, Andrea, 2003. "Whose Voices? Whose Choices? Reflections on Gender and Participatory Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1325-1342, August.
- Anne Tallontire, 2009. "Top heavy? Governance issues and policy decisions for the fair trade movement," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1004-1014.
- Laura T. Raynolds & Douglas Murray & Peter Leigh Taylor, 2004. "Fair trade coffee: building producer capacity via global networks," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1109-1121.
- Bacon, Christopher M., 2010. "Who decides what is fair in fair trade? The agri-environmental governance of standards, access, and price," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt8px4f62v, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Bonin, John P & Jones, Derek C & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Theoretical and Empirical Studies of Producer Cooperatives: Will Ever the Twain Meet?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1290-1320, September.
- Cleaver, Frances, 2005. "The inequality of social capital and the reproduction of chronic poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 893-906, June.
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Chambers, Robert, 1994. "Participatory rural appraisal (PRA): Challenges, potentials and paradigm," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 1437-1454, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cgs:wpaper:38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro S. Martins)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.