Risk, Size and Concentration in the Chilean Banking System
The possible merger of two of Chile’s largest banks spurred a strong debate. It is claimed that higher levels of bank concentration would significantly increase the aggregate (systemic) risk of the banking system. This assumes implicitly that the bankers’ attitude toward risk taking are correlated with bank size and that current regulations of Chilean banks would not be sufficient to prevent an increase in overall risk. This paper evaluates both at the theoretical and empirical level whether there is any support for this claim.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebecca Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1997. "Agency problems and risk taking at banks," Staff Reports 29, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Rebecca S. Demsetz & Marc R. Saidenberg & Philip E. Strahan, 1997. "Agency problems and risk taking at banks," Research Paper 9709, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ben Craig & JoÃ£o Cabral dos Santos, 1997. "The risk effects of bank acquisitions," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 25-35.
- J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Miguel Basch, 1998.
"Determinantes de los spreads bancarios: El caso de Chile,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
7581, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Miguel Basch & Rodrigo Fuentes, 1998. "Determinantes de los spreads bancarios: El caso de Chile," Research Department Publications 3028, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Philip E. Strahan, 1999. "Borrower risk and the price and nonprice terms of bank loans," Staff Reports 90, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph G. Haubrich, 1998.
"Bank diversification: laws and fallacies of large numbers,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-9.
- Joseph G. Haubrich, 1994. "Bank diversification: laws and fallacies of large numbers," Working Paper 9417, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Paul Calem & Rafael Rob, .
""The Impact of Capital-Based Regulation on Bank Risk-Taking: A Dynamic Model'',"
CARESS Working Papres
97-16, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Paul S. Calem & Rafael Rob, 1996. "The impact of capital-based regulation on bank risk-taking: a dynamic model," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:4:y:2001:i:1:p:25-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.