Efficiency in European railways: Not as inefficient as one might think
The paper studies technical inefficiency in the railway systems of ten countries of the European Union. A new approach is used which permits the disaggregation of inefficiency by factor of production to result in estimates of input-specific technical inefficiency. The cost structure is represented using a generalized McFadden flexible functional form. Policy implications and guidelines for rational decision making in the railway sector, are discussed in detail.
Volume (Year): IV (2001)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Viton, Philip A, 1981. "A Translog Cost Function for Urban Bus Transit," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 287-304, March.
- David W. Gillen & Tae Hoon Oum, 1984. "A Study of the Cost Structures of the Canadian Intercity Motor Coach Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 369-85, May.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. "Labour-Use Efficiency in Swedish Social Insurance Offices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 33-47, Jan.-Marc.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-834 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997.
"Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System,"
DEOS Working Papers
97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Andreas Andrikopoulos & John Loizides, 1998. "Cost structure and productivity growth in European railway systems," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1625-1639.
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997. "Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System," Athens University of Economics and Business 97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- Conrad, Klaus & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1977. "Tests of a model of production for the Federal Republic of Germany, 1950-1973," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-75.
- Dominique DEPRINS & Léopold SIMAR, 1989. "Estimating Technical Inefficiencies With Correction For Environmental Conditions," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 81-102, 01.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1989. "Estimation of Technical Efficiency Using Flexible Functional Form and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 253-58, April.
- Ann F. Friedlaender & Ernst R. Berndt & Judy Shaw-Er Wang Chiang & Mark Showalter & Christopher A. Vellturo, 1991. "Rail Costs and Capital Adjustments in a Quasi-Regulated Environment," NBER Working Papers 3841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-92, July-Aug..
- McMullen, B Starr & Stanley, Linda R, 1988. "The Impact of Deregulation on the Production Structure of the Motor Carrier Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Ali, Farman & Parikh, Ashok & Shah, Mir Kalan, 1996. "Measurement of economic efficiency using the behavioral and stochastic cost frontier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 271-287, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:jaecon:v:4:y:2001:n:1:p:63-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.