Efficiency in European railways: Not as inefficient as one might think
The paper studies technical inefficiency in the railway systems of ten countries of the European Union. A new approach is used which permits the disaggregation of inefficiency by factor of production to result in estimates of input-specific technical inefficiency. The cost structure is represented using a generalized McFadden flexible functional form. Policy implications and guidelines for rational decision making in the railway sector, are discussed in detail.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Viton, Philip A, 1981. "A Translog Cost Function for Urban Bus Transit," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 287-304, March.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-892, July-Aug..
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- David W. Gillen & Tae Hoon Oum, 1984. "A Study of the Cost Structures of the Canadian Intercity Motor Coach Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 369-385, May.
- Ann F. Friedlaender & Ernst R. Berndt & Judy Shaw-Er Wang Chiang & Mark Showalter & Christopher A. Vellturo, 1991. "Rail Costs and Capital Adjustments in a Quasi-Regulated Environment," NBER Working Papers 3841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McMullen, B Starr & Stanley, Linda R, 1988. "The Impact of Deregulation on the Production Structure of the Motor Carrier Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Andreas Andrikopoulos & John Loizides, 1998.
"Cost structure and productivity growth in European railway systems,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1625-1639.
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997. "Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System," DEOS Working Papers 97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Andrikopoulos, A.A. & Loizides, J., 1997. "Cost Structure and Productivity Growth in European Railway System," Athens University of Economics and Business 97-03, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. "Labour-Use Efficiency in Swedish Social Insurance Offices," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 33-47, Jan.-Marc.
- Ali, Farman & Parikh, Ashok & Shah, Mir Kalan, 1996. "Measurement of economic efficiency using the behavioral and stochastic cost frontier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 271-287, June.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1989. "Estimation of Technical Efficiency Using Flexible Functional Form and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 253-258, April.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-834 is not listed on IDEAS
- Conrad, Klaus & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1977. "Tests of a model of production for the Federal Republic of Germany, 1950-1973," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-75.
- Dominique DEPRINS & Léopold SIMAR, 1989. "Estimating Technical Inefficiencies With Correction For Environmental Conditions," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 81-102, 01. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:jaecon:v:4:y:2001:n:1:p:63-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.