Europäische Integration am Wendepunkt? Zum möglichen Austritt Großbritanniens aus der EU / European integration at a turning point? Consequences of a British exit for the EU
With the Lisbon Treaty a right of withdrawal has been incorporated into the EU law for the first time. This paper examines what consequences the planned British referendum on EU withdrawal may have for the EU. In addition to the direct effects on trade and FDI there would be a strong impact on the balance of power and the internal stability of the EU. As the euro crisis is identified as a possible driving force for a British exit, a solid solution for the euro zone is necessary to keep a country like UK in the EU. Sticking to an unchanged euro zone may endanger the stability of the entire EU and thus lead to a turning point in the European integration process.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 66 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/ordo|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1997.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1027-1056.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995. "On the Number and Size of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanne Lechner & Renate Ohr, 2011. "The right of withdrawal in the treaty of Lisbon: a game theoretic reflection on different decision processes in the EU," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 357-375, December.
- Lechner, Susanne & Ohr, Renate, 2008. "The right of withdrawal in the treaty of Lison: A game theoretic reflection on different decision processes in the EU," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 77, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Bernhard Boockmann & Roland Vaubel, 2009. "The Theory of Raising Rivals' Costs and Evidence from the International Labour Organisation," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(6), pages 862-887, 06.
- G.I.P. Ottaviano & João Paulo Pessoa & Thomas Sampson & John Van Reenen, 2014. "Brexit or Fixit? The trade and welfare effects of leaving the European union," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 57958, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- G.I.P. Ottaviano & Joao Paulo Pessoa & Thomas Sampson & John Van Reenen, 2014. "Brexit or Fixit? The Trade and Welfare Effects of Leaving the European Union," CEP Policy Analysis Papers 016, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gerard & Spolaore, Enrico, 1996. "Economic theories of the break-up and integration of nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 697-705, April.
- Jörg König & Renate Ohr, 2013. "Different Efforts in European Economic Integration: Implications of the EU Index," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(6), pages 1074-1090, November.
- Ioannou, Demosthenes & Jamet, Jean-Francois & Kleibl, Johannes, 2015. "Spillovers and euroscepticism," Working Paper Series 1815, European Central Bank.
- Pain, Nigel & Young, Garry, 2004. "The macroeconomic impact of UK withdrawal from the EU," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 387-408, May.
- Guth, Werner & Schmittberger, Rolf & Schwarze, Bernd, 1982. "An experimental analysis of ultimatum bargaining," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 367-388, December.
- Fernandez, Raquel, 1997. "Returns to regionalism : an evaluation of nontraditional gains from regional trade agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1816, The World Bank.
- Stahl, Dale O. & Haruvy, Ernan, 2008. "Subgame perfection in ultimatum bargaining trees," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 292-307, May.
- Harald Badinger & Fritz Breuss, 2006. "Country Size and the Gains from Trade Bloc Enlargement: an Empirical Assessment for the European Community," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 615-631, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:ordojb:v:66:y:2015:i:1:p:99-114:n:7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.